Advise Needed: iPhone in Belgium / GSM Phone needed / World Travel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SteveSparks, Dec 7, 2010.

1. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

I am traveling to Belgium (from the USA) next month where I will spend about 6 weeks working and then I will travel to Ukraine for many more months with various trips back and fourth to and from various places in parts of the world.

What I want to know is what the the best route to get and unlocked iPhone of any flavor so I can sim swap as I go from country to country.

Any idea?

or am I better off getting a more generic phone?

Has anyone ever gotten an iPod Touch to use a data connection via bluetooth? (see below)

Do you know of a phone that nokia makes that can be used as a WIFI hotpot? (I would use a touch with my apps via the wifi of my phone).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. X2thaP macrumors member

Well it depends on if you want to buy your phone in the USA or abroad...
    If you are willing to buy it abroad: the iPhones in Belgium are unlocked, so you can use them with any SIM card.
    This way you could just buy one in Belgium (iPhone4 16GB is €639,99 and the 32GB is €749,99; the 3GS 8GB is €529,99)
    and use this one in Belgium, the Ukraine and even in the USA when, or if, you return.
    I do believe it might be 'sold out' in a lot of shops, but one shop that tends to have them in stock (because apparently most
    people don't know they sell it) is Krefel, besides that you could check Saturn (big electronics store) as well.

They come with a USB-cable to charge through the computer, but the box also includes the normal wall charger for Belgium.

For your other questions you will have to wait for someone else to answer those ;-)

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

Another vote here for buying an unlocked iPhone in Belgium. It's more expensive up front but you can put whatever SIM you want in it.