Advise on Buying a Monitor for My Needs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Xtreambar, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Xtreambar macrumors regular

So, I am a recent college grad taking a year off before grad school. When I get to grad school, I plan to use my monitor as the center of my work/entertainment hub (time to have fun in grad school? *chuckles*) so getting the right monitor is very important to me!

Widescreen and flatscreen are obivious specs. I will not buy a TV, so maxing the screen space is very important. The inputs will be for my Core Duo MB and my PS3. Hopefully, the monitor has rotational capabilities for writing papers. This is not necessary, but height adjustable is certainly important. I don't need many inputs, just some hidef input that both systems support. I don't need extra usb and card reader inputs either.

As I am not going to grad school for another 10-ish months, I don't need the monitor immediately. I ask now, rather than later, because I know that certain times of the year are better than others to buy electronics. When would those times be? Or do prices drop/products improve rapidly enough that there will be major differences in monitors between now and then. In other words, if I have until next July-August to buy a monitor, until when would be the best time to wait?

Thanks a bunch in advance! :confused:

2. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Multiple inputs, maximized size for a single-link DVI computer (MacBook), adjustable height, rotation . . .

This isn't even debatable. You want the Dell 24" widescreen LCD.

3. Xtreambar thread starter macrumors regular

It looks like the previous itteration of that monitor came out over a year ago at $949 and this new and improved version is at about $670 now. So, it would be safe to assume that by next summer this should have dropped in price further, right? Under 500 would be my sweet spot. I could go higher if the price hasn't dropped by then and am set up such that I don't need the monitor until then.

4. scifiman macrumors member

Overkill?

Ok, this is probably overkill for what you want, but it has a ton of connection options. Gateway 30"
    I haven't seen one in person so be sure to look for some reviews if you do consider this. I also say this because I know historically Gateway's LCD aren't the best. But here's hoping they have gotten better. Heck, I would almost buy this for the connection possibilities if I had the cash.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Wow, so I was just about to post almost the exact same question. I am also looking for a monitor that I can hook my game consoles up to (N64, PS2, Xbox 360 and a Wii) but will also be my primary display.

The problem is I don't know what brands are reputable other than dell so I keep going back to looking at them. How do you tell the quality of a monitor?

6. mavherzog macrumors 6502

This will require dual-link DVI to drive at native resolution (and the MacBook can not provide that). The 24" (at 1920x1200) is as good as it gets for an external display for the MacBooks.

7. Flyers1718 macrumors member

Flyers1718

8. Xtreambar thread starter macrumors regular

Seems like a love it or hate it monitor. As a grad student, it will be crucial that text is clear. Does anyone have any experience with this monitor?

9. Flyers1718 macrumors member

Flyers1718

Which one?

10. Xtreambar thread starter macrumors regular

The behemoth 37in Westinghouse. Yeah. That's probably overkill. I'd probably go blind after 6 years of writing papers a foot and half away from it.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If this is also going to be your TV, you'll probably want to get an LCD TV with a PC input. You won't be able to use a regular monitor as a TV unless you get an eyetv or something to hook up to your MB.

12. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You can use a regular monitor as a TV provided you have some form of external tuner (such as a cable box or DVD/VCR player). Many monitors have video inputs and so can be used as both TV and monitor, however they are optimized for computer use as opposed to TV use.

13. Xtreambar thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm. I guess by "TV", I mean "the-thing-that-I-plug-my-PS3-into-which-is-usually-a-TV" I don't really watch TV. If I ever want to watch a TV show, I download it.

14. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Yea, that is what I am looking for (I also don't watch much, if any, TV). What I want is something that is primarily a monitor and a TV like thing second.

That is why, unless someone comes up with another option, I think I will get the Dell 24" Ultrasharp display:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5647

I would love the 27" but the 24" is already a bit above the $500 I was originally budgeting.

15. Flyers1718 macrumors member

Flyers1718

I think you would be find with the westy if you kept a distance and for that price and it being 1080p its a steal.