Advisers say Obama preparing to close Gitmo

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jan 12, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Some potential good news here:

http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20090112/496adc60_3ca6_15526200901121476864717

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I wonder where the prisoners will go? It'll be fun to find out. :D

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

If you read the rest of the article, it discusses some possibilities.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Sorry, Mr Marcy. It seems that your dream that was once so close is now fading into oblivion.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

After the prisoners are moved out and finally given some semblance of due process, I don't think we should close it. I favor putting it on skeleton staffing, and then after the war crimes tribunal, it can be used to house Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, and the rest on a more indefinite basis.... :)

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

We can dream, can't we? :)

7. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Duh. :rolleyes: Obama has been saying that right from the start of his campaign.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

Politicians say a lot of stuff. Actually starting something is far different than just throwing it out there during a campaign.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, but the fact he's still saying it is a good sign of things to come.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That would be a waste of a good beach. I'm sure some afghani tribesman would be willing to surrender his mud hut to have such honored guests!

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And yet we've repeatedly had posters in here exclaiming that ZOMFG OBAMA'S ALREADY BREAKING HIS CAMPAIGN PROMISES.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmm, this is a good point. It's near Cuba. After we finally normalize relationships with them, it would make a nice resort. Hell, if President Gore could have inaugurated Six Flags Beirut, I don't see why not. :D

13. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

The back slapping will start when the doors on that place close and the people inside get fair trials.

A good start, none the less.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Most of them won't get trials at all, since they haven't even been charged. Remember a lot of them were simply sold to the US for cash.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Wow. Awkward for when those gents get home.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The US News reported that approximately 10% appear to have ended up involved in terrorism again. Choice quotes:

Ten percent is a not insignificant number, but I have to believe there's a better solution than keeping them all locked up in a detention center without the kinds of rights afforded either to civilian prisoners or prisoners of war.

17. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

You're right that 10% isn't insignificant. It's massively significant in that 90%... don't.

18. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Its not near Cuba, its IN Cuba....If Camp Delta is closed it only means they wont house prisoners there...The Naval Base will be there for many, many years to come..It will go back to holding Haitians and Cubans before being repatriated, again..It also deploys (it that the right term..??) the largest minefield(s) on the planet, which is why we are not a signer to the Minefield treaty...It keeps Cuban troops on their side of the fence(s)..

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've never supported the Guantanamo process. Nor do I support any form of end-round incarceration of "extremely dangerous" persons against whom no charges can be justified. I was just pointing out the study.

20. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

They should close the whole thing down,not only the prison.And turn it into a sweet resort.Like a sandals or something :p

21. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

What, Cuba?

22. johnmartin78 macrumors regular

johnmartin78

lol no the Naval Base.And I was kidding.

I been to Cuba a bunch of times,it's really nice.Except you can't leave the resort,at least where I went.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'd even make the argument that sending them to Gitmo may have either made it impossible to get the information necessary to keep them or try them, but may have also hardened them.

I just finished "How To Break a Terrorist" by Matthew Alexander, one of the "new school" interrogators who worked in Iraq and was instrumental in getting the information to find Zarqawi. He talks about how the other interrogators, especially those from Gitmo, had a difficulty with their charges because they continued to use "Fear Up" and control tactics.

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm fairly sure you know that figures from "intelligence" services are as worthless as my opinions.:)

25. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I was just agreeing with the point I thought you were making :D