Advocates for Workers Raise the Ire of Business

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jan 17, 2014.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

There was an interesting article in the NY Times today about worker advocacy groups. The complaint, as initially stated, is that in some specific cases some worker advocacy groups have done "union" activities without being a union. That could be true, possibly. But, in reading the whole article, that really isn't the issue. What is annoying business is that groups are advocating, sometimes in general (minimum wage laws) and sometimes specifically (paying more for tomatoes), for workers. The horror.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/17/business/as-worker-advocacy-groups-gain-momentum-businesses-fight-back.html?ref=business&_r=0

So, what it amounts to, is that Mr. Berman doesn't think that non-union groups should be allowed to push for improved worker conditions and pay for restaurant workers, while his group is perfectly justified in advocating for restaurant owners. By his own words, he wants free speech for business owners, but, not for worker advocacy groups.

I, for one, have been quite interested in some of the information that has come out during these struggles. For one, I always understood that tips were to benefit the otherwise underpaid waiters and cooks. Come to find out, in many cases, owners and managers have been taking a cut, in some cases, the lions share. Whatever excuses restaurant owners have for that, I consider it completely unethical.

2. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Well, you can't really cut the pay of a line cook in any type of decent restaurant as they'll just walk out. I've seen it happen.

As far as waiters go, most are paid around 2.12 an hour plus tips. You can
    't really cut that either.

Welcome to modern America.

American tradition, help the big guy, crush the little guy.

3. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

And some CEO walks in, clears his throat, and says "Shut your disgusting poor mouths, or I'll outsource every god damn one of you, so help me...", then walks off calmly.

People return to work, and it's all over.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yeah, I agree, but workers should respond by simply walking off the line. You can't outsource waiters and cooks.

And CEO looking at an empty kitchen and the dinner rush can't let steaks burn on the grill.

Of course, this takes organization and courage.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Seriously.

If the public wasn't so scared of their own debt and collectively stopped work for a week, we'd see MASSIVE social change in this country.

Good thing we've beaten the rat race into generations of Americans, where "working till the job is done" is somehow more respectable than "working as long as your paid for, family, friends, and health be damned."

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

...and a willingness to lose your job.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

depends on the state, here in Kommiefornia they make min wage +tips.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, and restaurants are closing by the dozens... (sarcasm tag)

Actually, the new wave of foodies in CA is pushing for fair wages and decent working conditions. For too long foodies have ignored the restaurant staff. It's nice that people who can afford to spend $100+ per person per meal are willing to stand up and fight for the lowly dishwashers.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Really just given the scale of their economies, California and Texas are both the drivers of the rest of the country in terms of social norms (NY is a big of a lagging indicator). While there are some awesome things going on in CA, Texas is busy supplying the nation with creationist and other "don't bother with critical thinking" initiatives.

I think the country is much closer to a societal cliff than most people think, the thing is I don't have any indications as to which side is stronger. :(

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

As well as in Oregon, Washington and Nevada, 4 states where you cannot find a Cracker Barrel Old Country Store restaurant, even though they could rake in some serious revenue. Nonetheless, restaurant owners still strive to stiff and screw their servers.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They have lobbyists to pay-off.

You think that money grows on trees!!!!! :mad:

:rolleyes:

12. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

The question is, who in their right mind would eat a Cracker Barrel? It's as fake as a Red Robin

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I'll eat at Cracker Barrel on rare occasion. It's not what I'd call the greatest food in the world, but it's decent enough depending on what you get.

Though even with my mediocre opinion of it, I'd still say it's far, far better than Red Robin, which is overpriced crap. I'm sorry, but if I'm paying over a certain amount for a burger in a restaurant, I expect it to use ingredients that are at least of slightly higher quality than Cheez Whiz and mushrooms dug out of a can.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I would cold blooded murder someone for a chicken fried steak smothered in white gravy and mash potatoes in Canada.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

People who drive automatic cars.

16. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Then make it yourself :p It really is not hard

----------

Oh no what I mean is that both Red Robin ( and most other big chains ( fill their buildings with fake old stuff to try to make it " feel real " ;)

----------

Who also shop at Wal Mart and eat McDonalds.

My F350 only comes in an automatic! Please don't beat me!

17. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

and it's tragic how many lose their job anyway.

18. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

This is not just a CA thing, I've been noticing this all over the country, serious diners are fed up with crappy wages at eateries.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Are you criticizing the flair, sir? :mad:

I could see it seeming sorta fake up north or out west. But around here it's a little different. The Cracker Barrels I've been to get all their doodads, signs, and old timey adverts from old local businesses and antiques shops, so it feels more...er..."homey".

20. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Applebees around here does the same thing

* Lets get local crap and tell them we're local! Go Freedom! "

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

We need to talk about your flair. Fifteen is the minimum, mmmkay, but some people choose to wear more and we encourage that. You do want to express yourself, don't you?

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I have heard stuff about that chain, mostly that they left the "Road-" part off the name. Now I have to go have breakfast at a local diner called "Mad Dogs", where the walls are covered with pictures of people's pets (sans meme-ification).

23. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I will always pick the local place over a chain. Unless I am on the road, and see a shady looking place and a McDonalds, as much as I hate everything about McDonalds, they can provide safe food to keep me driving for another 12hours.

Tho this is very rare.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Okay. So you want me to wear more?

25. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Unions play a very important role. The caveat is that they act responsibly for the best interests of all parties involved. It does no good to get your pay raise if the company goes out of business in 5 years. I was involved in one strike, the 1998 Northwest Airlines strike. They the owners threatened shutting it down permanently and walking away, but we knew they had a large investment in the company having participated in a leveraged buyout in 1989. However in the back of my mind I was wondering my my job was over...

As a result of that buyout, Wilson and Checchi managed to strip 100M easy out of the company to be diverted into their own pockets and so NWA went from operating in the black to being a debtor company, pay as we went and consequently the cash reserves were no longer there to help the company through tighter times. Sorry boys and girls, we need to take up a collection... This is the way of big business in many cases.

A unique advantage that pilots seem to have (at times) is that it is a highly skilled profession, not easy to replace workers and start from scratch, but not all strikes work out as well. The NWA mechanics crashed and burned in the same time frame. Part of their problem was that in a previous contract they had allowed the company to outsource 30% of their jobs. In the next contract it was not much of a reach to go all the way with contract maintenance, although imo after that it was rather dicey on the maintenance front.

I once had a lawyer tell me he resented paying for a $400 ticket to pay my high wages when flying to the West Coast but I countered that for the airplane I flew, one hour of flight time cost each passenger on the plane, $2.50 for both pilots. Obviously there were other charges substantially more than what the pilots cost.