Aereo case too close to call.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Apr 22, 2014.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It sounds like this will be a lot closer then people thought.
    http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304049904579517722557177420.html

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I'm not sure I get the point of Aereo, since it only offers ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and FOX, and serves a limited geographical area.

I get those channels free, so why would I want to pay Aereo $8 a month to watch the same (in most cases, lousy) programming on a much smaller screen with substandard sound?

Different strokes....

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Aereo is going on the premise that they should not have to pay a license to the broadcasters for their over the air signals. The premise is that those that live outside of the broadcast range can pay Aereo to get those over the air signals without the need for a cable company. The broadcasters are suing claiming that the free over the air signals are being stolen and want money for them.

The broadcasters charge service providers a retransmission fee, this is the core of the argument that there should not be fees.

4. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    How is the broadcast range defined? While I haven't been to all the cities served by Aereo, I know that a good number of them can easily receive over the air network broadcasts without cable. My parents could pick up good signal with just a set of rabbit ears.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

A lot depends on mountains or even your ability to set up a antenna, depending on where you live you might not be allowed.

I guess a usual strong over the air signal in the clear can go 40-60 miles. Don't forget digital signals do not go as far as old analog broadcasts.