Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Aerial Video of Apple's Finished NC Data Center, Already Plans for Expansion?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

DataCenterKnowledge posts an aerial video of Apple's near-complete North Carolina Data Center. The Data Center is said to begin operations "any day now" according to local officials.

The video was posted by a local retailer who reports that Apple is rumored to already be expanding the newly completed data center.
There is a rumor that Apple will double the 500,000 square foot $1 Billion Data Center in North Carolina. Though there has been no official announcement, I discovered that site work is being performed and it clearly appears that there may be some truth to the speculation.
The rumor appeared both in Charlotte Business Journal and All Things Digital:
With its 500,000 square feet of data center space (currently, sources tell me that Apple is considering doubling that) the facility has been built for something.
Doubling their data center so soon after construction would represent massive expansion. Apple has yet to officially confirm their plans for the data center.

Article Link: Aerial Video of Apple's Finished NC Data Center, Already Plans for Expansion?

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
we can only wonder what apple has planned for this 1 or perhaps soon to be 2 billion dollar data center.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
That land there that is being graded looks to be parkland and landscaping to me, for like an employee park for recreation while at work, Looks like a path, and maybe a pond. Just my .02

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Man, if I were google or MS I'd be really nervous about what Apple has up their sleeve.

diego

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2003
Canada & Mexico
can someone post a Google Maps link to the area where this data center is? I'm an urban planner and it's always interesting to see the surroundings of these kind of projects.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Can you imagine how many Xserves that place can hold? Apple has got to be their own best customer.

jglavin

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
can someone post a Google Maps link to the area where this data center is? I'm an urban planner and it's always interesting to see the surroundings of these kind of projects.
Just go into Maiden, NC on Google maps and search for Apple. They don't have current Aerial photos, though.

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Looks like a lot of nice farmland around the data center. I wonder how the neighbors feel about it. The traffic down that road is going to increase dramatically.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
What if this was their plan all along?

Make one center, get it up and going...then work on the next one while the first one is raking in the moola.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
it must be housing skynet!

ROFL I don't know why I always think "SKYNET" when servers and "cloud" computing are mentioned...

...seriously though, why would any one need that much server support? It's a bit frightening when pondering how information is controlled; gathered and transferred, especially with one company. When they own the information they can bend it all they want.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
xServes?

From what I understand, NetApp is Apple's go to company for data storage. NetApp also builds the most efficient data centers in the world. I would be surprised if NetApp and Apple weren't working on this thing together.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
ROFL I don't know why I always think "SKYNET" when servers and "cloud" computing are mentioned...

...seriously though, why would any one need that much server support? It's a bit frightening when pondering how information is controlled; gathered and transferred, especially with one company. When they own the information they can bend it all they want.

Absolutely, and there's been a lot of shady characters that have led to such thinking. It's sad. And I'm not defending Apple on this, but they have shown that they hold themselves to a high standard at every level of business. Why not with their data centres? Just a thought.

RobBookPro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
When they say that that costs one billions dollars, does that include land and what ever is going to be inside of it?

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC

RobBookPro said:
When they say that that costs one billions dollars, does that include land and what ever is going to be inside of it?

The land costs in that area are very low, so its pretty much the building and tech inside that accounts for the overwhelming majority of the one billion.

ckoerner

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Debbie Downer

I'm curious if this new data center isn't so much about new services, but about brining services they already host with 3rd parties in-house. Apple's all about the control of the ecocystem, so it makes sense.

Or MobileMe is going to become free for all!

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Is it really wise to put their entire data system under one roof? Apple's fate is one fire/earthquake/Godzilla-attack away from being eliminated in one take.

MacFan782040

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2003
500,000 square feet? That's almost 3x the size of my local Walmart Supercenter. Imagine how many servers they can hold? And they want to double it!? :eek:

C. Alan

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
well if you already have the land, and have the construction team in place, it may be easier and cheaper to expand it now rather than later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.