Aesthetics of Revised Google Search Bar (was: Am I the only one who doesn't like...)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Dec 24, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The new safari google search bar location. It just looks out of place. Why did they change what was working fine...to appeal to new users used to a dedicated search bar?....why. Change it back Apple...it's too cramped up there and it looks tacked on

2. Daveecee macrumors regular

I dunno, it looks fine to me. Except for the absence of the divider that lets you change the length of the search bar, it looks like it does in Safari on Mac.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It just seems weird after all those months of not having it there; and yes, it does seem a bit crowded and the entire web address is now abbreviated...

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Doesn't bother me ... Oh .. and your Avatar is really cool :)

Cheers.

5. TheMBC macrumors 6502

It's pretty big, they could make it a little smaller and have it end where the "e" in "Google" ends as well, but IDK if Yahoo! takes up more space (for some reason) and that's why it's that size.

6. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

It's just pointless to me and very un-apple IMO

7. deadsouls macrumors regular

i think they wanted a more consistent look with how your usual desktop web browser looks. but i completely agree. its completely pointless and is about as useful as idiotic 'emoji' to me.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

For the target audience the iPhone caters to (mostly people who never owned a smartphone before), it's very appropriate. It's akin to saying; "hey look, our phone has The Google!"

Remember, Apple built their empire on name recognition.

9. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

un-apple? You must use a PC because Safari on Macs have the exact same search bar.

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

even Firefox have that bar. and Safari on PCs do to.

11. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I use a mac and like I said I recognize why they did it but it still looks tacky to me. The old method was better once you tapped the address bar you got a google bar underneath which is a better implementation

12. deadsouls macrumors regular

uhhh so does ie7-8, firefox, opera, etc etc every other browser available on the pc.

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Oh, I despise it. Completely despise it.

Not even because it was a waste of time to implement when so much else needs doing instead, but it's actively much worse than the old toolbar.

You can't see as much of the address (including, importantly, if it's http or https...), I accidentally hit the reload button because it's in the bar now at least five times a day when trying to type in a new address, and it's just horrible. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Please Apple, change it back.

Phazer

14. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

Not to mention that the older bar retained its string contents when not in use. Now the field says Google or Yahoo when the field is not in use, a backward step.