AFA: Will Phillips as Pride Marshal Is Child Abuse

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jun 24, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Screw you, AFA wackos, this kid is a hero.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_...ill_Phillips_As_Pride_Marshal_is_Child_Abuse/

A bit of history:

http://www.kfsm.com/news/kfsm-news-nwa-gay-pride-parade-grand-marshal,0,3463492.story

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds pretty mature for a ten year old. Good for him.

I can't believe not standing for brainwashing the pledge of allegiance is grounds for news coverage.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I can't believe you're shocked by any news of a ridiculous nature that comes out of this country anymore.

4. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Hmm.

I can understand why people would be upset.

Personally, this bothers me not by the fact that he is representing a gay-rights group, but because he is ten.

The group should have enough moral grounding to not take advantage of a child. It does not matter if the kid is totally for it, I still think that his age should raise some major red flags.

I am against this, just as I am against people bringing their kids to political protests. Children do not really know what they are for/against, and propping them up as sympathy/press exposure puppets is certainly questionable.

"Look at this, even this kid supports gay right!"

That may be, but when I was a kid, I supported tons of ridiculous ****, like free chocolate milk for all, and school lunches consisting of candy.

I just don't see how this is a good thing at all, especially for the kid.

Even more alarming though
    , is the AFA prompting people who are not even affected to send out template protest emails. Why do they care?

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Surely there are a decent number of teenagers who don't pledge allegiance under general teenage rebellion/lack of bothering/because they spoke to kids from other countries about it and got laughed at.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm... I knew racial prejudice and discrimination was wrong when I was ten. Why is it different because it's gay rights?

And the AFA is just a frightening group in the first place. That they would now attack this family is disturbing.

You give us far too much credit. I remember how shocked you were when you visited and saw the amount of poverty going on in the States. Well... this should not surprise you after that.

7. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I specifically said that I am not bothered by the "gay" aspect of it.

I am bothered by the "ten year old promoting an agenda while being goaded by a special-interest group" aspect of it.

If you replace the "gay rights" aspect of this story with "libertarian philosophy" or "decriminalization" or anything for that matter. I would still be just as bothered by the fact that a special interest group is taking advantage of a 10 year old child.

It also makes me wonder about the kids parents. NO 10 year old child uses phrases like "bully pulpit of the Presidency," leading me to believe that this kids parents are strong gay-rights advocates who fed their child talking points, and I am willing to bet they told him not to stand for the pledge.

I think you are kidding yourself if you believe a ten year old has the mental capacity and logical reasoning skills to act this way on his own.

So, to sum up my feelings about this:
    AFA is a ridiculous group that needs to go away, and shame on this kids parents as well as the NMA Pride for using a child to promote their agenda, no matter how "right" it is. You just don't use kids to do this sort of thing.

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

So supporting gay rights is ridiculous? :eek:

9. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

You could actually think about what I said objectively, or you could choose to sidestep my point and jump to an asinine conclusion based on nothing more than one word taken entirely out of context.

Why am I not surprised at your decision....

10. 184550 Guest

I think that it's a bit naive to assume that this kid actually knows enough about the issues (Gay Rights and protesting the Pledge of Allegiance) to personally take a stand in support or protest of said issues. I think that the more likely root of his supposed activism is his parents use, and thus pushing their ideas/ beliefs, of him to get the attention that the media gives him.

It all seems very cheap to me.

11. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

12. 184550 Guest

I know, right?

Just because I think that this kids parents are feeding him lines to push their own agenda and get media attention automatically makes me a homophobe.

This attitude reminds of african-american kids in my high school who would play the race card any chance they got. Got a bad grade? It's because I'm black. Kicked out of class for talking back? It's because I'm black. Suspended for fighting in the hallway? It's because I'm black.

Think it's cheap because a kids parents are using him? I'm a homophobe. Think that kid and his parents should just sit down and shut up and stop trying to get attention? I'm a homophobe. :rolleyes:

13. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Well put.

This kids parents are using him because they support gay rights, just like balloon boys parents used him because they support weather balloons.

14. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

What evidence do you have that the kid is being "goaded"?

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Who here said anything about homophobia?

Please stop putting words in people's mouths. You guys both almost had a good conversation going, then you pull this s***.

And whether you like it or not, people drag their kids into all kinds of things like this. The Palin family is a huge example. Another example is Ryan White, one of the first kids to get AIDS. He was used to bring attention to the issue. That was absolutely political. Is that bad too?

16. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Well

"encouraged President Obama to "use the bully pulpit of the Presidency" to promote equality for all Americans" - Straight from the mouth of this kid, Will.

When I was ten, I had no idea what "bully pulpit" meant, I probably had no idea who the president was, much less, cared, and I agreed lock-step with everything my parents said.

So you can think about how little this makes sense, or buy the hype of some little kid with a magically advanced vocabulary and logical thinking skills further developed than most of this countries.

Occam's Razor says this kid is being fed talking points and ideology.

And lee: bobber205 started it :)
    Also: What did the palin family do? I really do not know, I try not to pay attention to her.

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Palin paraded her family around all during the campaign- totally used all her kids for political purposes (even her mentally handicapped son and knocked up teen daughter), and when people criticized her family, she told them her family was off-limits. But hey- as long as she could use them, it was just fine.

Now- perhaps this kid is being given talking points. It doesn't mean he doesn't believe what he says. I knew that discrimination was wrong as a kid- that hasn't changed. Why would anyone think that would change for this kid? How do we know this kid doesn't have deeply personal reasons (a relative or friend who may be gay) for saying what he says? Perhaps he asked for ways to better express what he intended to say? Hell, maybe the kid's just really ********** smart? Either way, I don't think a clear conclusion can be drawn that this kid is simply a parrot.

I don't see where bobber205 called you a homophobe.

18. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

See? In retrospect, given his normal absurdity, I ought to have taken it with a grain of salt.

Ok, that may be true for Palin, and just as bad.

"Now- perhaps this kid is being given talking points. It doesn't mean he doesn't believe what he says. I knew that discrimination was wrong as a kid- that hasn't changed. Why would anyone think that would change for this kid? How do we know this kid doesn't have deeply personal reasons (a relative or friend who may be gay) for saying what he says?"

I get all of that 100% and agree, but it doesn't change the fact that he is 10 years old.

Its great that the kid is for gay rights and has a level head on his shoulders, but I have a real big problem with parents/group turning the kid into a novelty, having him grandstand and lead a parade! Are there not more established leaders in your community that could do it just as well?

So examine the reason they would do it: The kid is 10 years old. He is a novelty, and I feel that it, in some way or another, is taking advantage of him.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Perhaps, but it's just a tiny town in Arkansas with a population of 73,372. According to what has been said by the parents, it's mostly just a bunch of families in the parade. It's not like this kid is leading the entire gay rights movement. I doubt it would have even been noticed if the AFA hadn't brought attention to it. Before that, it seems it was mostly a local story.

Personally, I don't pay any attention to any 10 year olds and what they might think about politics or sexuality. Gay or not makes no difference.

Let him go about and play with his soldiers or dolls or whatever and come back in a few years.

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I would typically agree but the concept of treating everyone equally isn't that tough to grasp (unless one happens to be on the side trying to justify treating people different based on gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.,.).

Lethal

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I can see what your saying, the average 10 year old is probably just not very we'll equipped to deal with being in the national spotlight.

Makes sense.

23. supercaliber macrumors regular

Ten year olds have the opinions of their parents. This boy's Dad is simply exploiting his son to push his agenda.

I actually don't care if someone is Gay, but this massive agenda to represent being born gay as a genetic equation is leading to an insane logical position.

How does being born one way or another actually have anything to do with your sexual behavior in bed? The bottom line is its a choice to live Gay or Straight. If I am born straight and want to live Gay, please do not discriminate against me. That is a much more logical argument.

I am actually okay with a group of people believing that you are born one way or another, but it would need to be called what it is, a new religion.

24. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

How can you be born straight but not gay?

25. 184550 Guest

As AP_piano295 asked, how can one be born straight but not be born gay?

I fail to see how one can believe that being gay is a choice. How does one choose to be gay? Wake up one morning and say 'You know what? I feel like being gay.'? Explain to me how that works.