Affordable external USB-C Monitor for MBP 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MinorSeventh, Sep 24, 2017.

1. MinorSeventh macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

for the past couple of days, I did some research on available monitors that can do the one-cable-thing.

That leads me to believe there's not a single 'affordable' monitor that can act as a USB-hub and charge the Macbook Pro at the same time.

I hope you can correct me on this, but I also hope you only do so when you have personal experience, for there's a lot of monitors which are marketed as being able to do that but once you get into their reviews, you'll see that it doesn't work.

Thanks for your replies, appreciated!

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

LG 27UD88.

Works perfectly well, used by myself and a number of others on MR.

3. MinorSeventh thread starter macrumors newbie

That's 550, a bit more palatable.

Does the 13" base MBP (2017) have any issues pushing around 4k extra pixels?

4. andy9l macrumors 68000

I use a 13” 2017 TouchBar MBP with a 3.1GHz / 16GB / 256GB config and experience no issues.

5. MinorSeventh thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, that's a fair bit more powerful.

I hope there's a 1440p monitor at some point to accompany the weaker MBP.

6. andy9l macrumors 68000

The base 2.3 non-TouchBar model and the 3.1 TouchBar model offer extremely similar performance.

There’s a slight difference during unusually heavy workloads, but that’s relatively rare.

7. BlackHawk00 macrumors newbie

BlackHawk00

Agree with @andy9l

I also use LG 27UD88 with my 15" 2017 MBP 2.9Ghz and it works perfect. Its a nice clean setup as only one USB-C cable connected from MBP to LG monitor. And it does charge the MBP while connected.

8. MinorSeventh thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't have speakers, though, does it?

Yeah I think I'll wait for a decent deal on the LG and finally jump on the 4k bandwagon. It's between that and getting a high refresh rate monitor for gaming.

9. BlackHawk00 macrumors newbie

BlackHawk00

It doesn’t have built in speaks and that’s the only downside of this monitor but otherwise it’s a solid option and worth your investment.

Yes, if gaming is your preference then must go 1440p with 144hz refresh rate monitor.

10. chz macrumors newbie

Another option is the Lenovo ThinkVision P27h-10.
    I use it at work connected to my MBP 15". The charging is not exceptional, seems to peak at 42W.
    But it is a nice 1440p screen, IPS 60Hz with 4 USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB 3.1 Type C
    The monitor was so cheap that I ordered it just to test it, but so far I´ve been pleasantly surprised. Only had it since Friday afternoon so there might be a few issues I´ve not run into yet.
    Also there is no speakers on it.

11. MinorSeventh thread starter macrumors newbie

That's only like 150 more than I'd get for my old one, great to hear that it works with the MBP!

I reckon the 13" will be more than fine charging at 40w.