Afghanistan. The new Saudi Arabia of lithium ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peace, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Report: U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

A team of U.S. geologists and Pentagon officials has discovered vast mineral wealth in Afghanistan, conceivably enough to turn the scarred and impoverished country into one of the world's most lucrative mining centers, The New York Times reports.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/world/asia/14minerals.html?hp

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its unlikely to help more than the elite. Afghanistan isn't stable enough. Its not like Chile or Norway :(.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That sound exactly like Saudi Arabia. Most of that oil money they get stays just with the elite.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

And here was me thinking we were there looking for Bin Laden. All the pieces of the puzzle fall into place now. /tfh

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's good news but I'm skeptical that a mining industry could ever be developed in Afghanistan. The Taliban wants everyone to be poor, uneducated and a religious fundementalist. They will try to destroy any attempt to build any type of mining infrastructure and will hunt down and horribly murder the employees of such an operation.

Then again, its amazing what can be overcome when there's money to be made. All those minerals can pay for some very advanced weaponry for defense.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's worse... it sounds like the kind of recipe for exploitation and disaster that was resource mining in Africa in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I think we should not get involved in this in any fashion.

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I instantly feel faint disgust by the thought of US geologists surveying land in Afghanistan.

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

I, for one feel this is a good thing:

1. The world keeps a good supply of high-demand minerals
    2. Afghanistan gets to contribute to the real world economy (which has all sorts of very very good benefits to the country)
    3. China, and the US get more competition.

9. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

This could be good for that country. It could replace the opium industry,educate the people and bring it up to par with industrialized nations. It's sad though because I don't think the Taliban want this.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^

The problem is that only seems to happen in countries which are already fairly rich or at least well governed.

True.

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

This is somewhat ironic as Taliban means "student" in English.

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I wish I could say the premise behind their search wasn't selfish. Everything in me wants to believe that despite being underdeveloped, with the help of the US they could make the new source of income and jobs have a positive effect. The cynic in me says that won't happen.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The Chinese now have a reason to be interested in Afghanistan. This could be "interesting".

14. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

The US likely knew about this since the Russians discovered it in the 80's, if you believe this. And I think I do.

15. 184550 Guest

Wishful thinking.

It's completely unreasonable to think that after all we've tried to do in Afghanistan that we'd simply leave this untouched and let other nations come in and make a profit.

16. Peace thread starter macrumors Core

Peace

The guy that did that video thinks the lithium would be used on people with bipolar disorders. LOL

It's also used in batteries. Worth much more that way.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's completely unreasonable to think that this will end well if we try to profit from it, unlike every other world power interference in Afghanistan in the past two millenia.

EDIT: More to the point, this kind of thinking, that there's something that's clearly fairly stupid to get involved in, but it has the potential for profit, and if we don't do it, someone else will do it, is exactly the sort of thinking that got us into the subprime lending disaster... It seems like a particularly poor time to be assuming that this thought process will have a different outcome, given that we're still in the throes of recovering from the last time we used it.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't worry, the US government will ensure that a US company gets the right to mine and sell the lithium to the rest of the world. New developments, training, and income for the people of Afghanistan will be more of a side-effect, or a positive version of "Collateral Damage".