Afghans refusing to kick U.S. balls

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TheAnswer, Aug 26, 2007.

1. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

You'd think that we'd have learned this simple lesson by now.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Definitely one of the better thread titles in recent memory. :p

Kinda sad that even when we try to be nice, it's still insulting.

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Why can't we just give them a normal ball? Is that so hard?

Note to US military: Go to Walmart. Buy a ball. Give it to Afghani kids. Problem solved. Sheesh.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

If we put a picture of Dub on them, you would not be able to keep them in stock.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Not when it comes to that subject

(People get upset FAR to easily about religion)

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Pun was intended.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the irony is very likely gonna be that those footballs have (very likely) been made in pakistan
    pakistan is the big center for football manufactures because of the cheap labour
    only the real expensive ones are made around here and i doubt they dropped some fancy hightech adidas balls

10. Queso macrumors G4

When you think about it, kicking the symbol of any nation isn't exactly a tribute, but once again the only people complaining are the old men telling everyone else what to think. The Sky Fairy is not offended because the Sky Fairy does not exist. Stupid sodding people and their stupid sodding religious bullcrap!!

It's a ball!! Kick the damn thing!!

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Wow. And people attack Christians for being intolerant?

12. Queso macrumors G4

Probably because a sizeable percentage of Christians ARE intolerant. The difference here is that I'm expressing an opinion. If I were attempting to ban religion or punish the religious because of my beliefs you would have a point. As it stands though, I'm not and you don't.

13. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I find the spokesperson's comment completely inadequate. How on earth could they not know that was going to be a problem?

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

This is the same flag that has at its center a pair of crossed swords. I wonder which would offend God more, being associated with religion by the sword or a game ball.

15. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

You're expressing an opinion? What you are doing is presenting completely ungrounded facts ("a sizeable percentage of Christians ARE intolerant")...

And Swarmlord, Saudi Arabia having swords on their flag doesn't come as much of a surprise to me, considering the fact that the first few years of Islam's existence were marked by Muhammed ravaging the Arabian desert with an army of followers. I doubt many Muslims would find offense in that. Kicking a ball with a passage from a Koran on it with their dirty feet (remember, they bath their feet before they go into a mosque, so they are obviously keen on not defiling holy things with uncleen feet) would be unwelcome in the Islamic community. I mean, I wouldn't kick a ball with a picture of Jesus on it, and neither would you.

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'm well aware of Saudi's flag and the symbolism. I wonder how they keep the elements from soiling it while it's flapping in the breeze.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Now that really is a silly rejoinder.

18. TheAnswer thread starter macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Hmmm...something doesn't add up here:

Picture 1.png

19. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Maybe Swarm is thinking of the Jolly Roger? I make that mistake a lot. I used to call GB's flag the Yukon Jack.

20. Queso macrumors G4

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth.....

21. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

i notice you didn't put up any facts to dispute ham...or rather add any facts that support you.

22. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Thats gonna make a pretty tasty game of footy, to be honest anythings better than watching Man Utd at the moment :(

23. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

You're kidding, right???

Actually, it is: military contracts a company (preferably a subsidiary of Haliburton) and purchases said footballs at 15x their retail value. :p

Contractors 1 Taxpayers 0

24. TheAnswer thread starter macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

One would hope that someone who supposedly lived in the region for a number of years wouldn't be prone to such a mistake.

25. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Ah yes. And this would be a great message to build community relations on. :rolleyes:

A major problem that we have faced in this war, as compared to the European liberation in WWII and WWI, is that we have little cultural commons with these folks. So, what happens? We decide that our cultural norms are superior and export it to them. We believe the "Sky Fairy" doesn't exist, so it doesn't exist, cultural norms be damned. The right gets it wrong when they export Christian beliefs, the left gets it wrong when it exports lack of belief.

And, your tone at the end indicates command, not opinion. So, yes, you are attacking them for their beliefs.