African Americans for Obama: Racism.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by renewed, Mar 9, 2012.

1. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Obama announces African Americans for Obama campaign. Could you imagine if Romney or the other Republican candidates started Caucasians for Romney (or the like)?

Let's see your excuses for this one.

Link

2. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

No excuse is needed. It's you who needs to get more educated about concepts.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Really?

I suppose one can't be racist if they are part of a minority/reach out to a minority hmm?

4. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

Wouldn't want to interrupt your fakeboob browsing but I'm all ears. Educate me.

5. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

In a perfect world where there is no rampant discrimination against blacks/latinos/etc, there were no slaves and the civil war between the reds and the blues never happened I would agree.

We do not live in a perfect world.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

There is rampant discrimination against races? Not from where I am sitting.

Regardless, racism is racism, perfect world or not

7. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

And it's things like this that continue the separation. He is the POTUS not a black panther. Why isn't it Americans for Obama? Why must he distinguish them into a category by color? Isn't it the blacks that want equality oh so badly?

8. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

I'm not really offended by this. What's the big deal?

If it was "Transgendered People for Obama" I wouldn't feel left out, either. Meh.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There are probably groups on the other side of that too. This kind of thing is likely to eventually diffuse with the culture, but you have a long history of a group feeling oppressed. You can look at women's sufferage, segregation, DADT, etc. Some of the culture persists even when the really overt oppressions and biased culture starts to subside. They get together under that label because it still makes them feel different from others. One day it won't, and that culture will fade. Speaking of Americans, that flag waving thing about a decade ago followed by flag pins and other stuff really was creepy (and a way to garner political support without actually doing anything), and it faded too ;).

10. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

White People for Romney wouldn't be offensive? I guarantee the same supporters of this group would be up in arms.

"Racism! Racist conservatives!"

11. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I agree that racially defined entities are inherently racist. As long as we have things like affirmative action, NAACP, the "Latin" awards, black history month, and all those other specifically racially defined things, whether innocuous or intentionally decisive, will keep racism alive.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Dude. It's called campaigning [source] ...

Rival GOP camps reach out for Latino votes in Florida

Gingrich lobbed the first attack Wednesday, poking fun at Romney during an appearance on Miami-based Univision, the country's biggest Spanish-language network. Gingrich peppered his remarks with halting Spanish as he accused Romney of living in a "fantasy land" for suggesting in a debate that the country's 11 million illegal immigrants should "self-deport."

Romney also stepped up his attacks on Gingrich, releasing a Spanish-language ad noting that the former House speaker once called Spanish the "language of the ghetto." Also on Univision, Romney said Gingrich's mocking of him was a cheap attempt to garner votes.

13. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

"White People for Romney" would be redundant and stating the obvious, and hardly needs any kind of grassroots movement.

I'm not saying "African Americans for Obama" would be as easily accepted if it were the other way round, but why does everything have to be tit-for-tat? Just because someone else would find the opposing view racist doesn't mean this is, necessarily.

Anyway, not a whole lot of Afro-centric goings-on here.

14. magamo macrumors 6502

If a person has no racial bias at all and is concerned about how on average African American might be suffering more than other Americans from declining wages and unemployment, I kind of feel like he would think a Republican equivalent of "African Americans for Obama" would be "African Americans for Romney," not "Caucasian for Romney" or whatever, unless Obama is blatantly saying he's defending black because he's one. I understand what the OP is saying though.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

This is absolutely no different than Rick Santorum's explicit outreach attempts to those of Faith (link) or Gingrich's attempts to get the hispanic vote (link).

They all dedicate outreach efforts to groups of citizens (typically minorities) based on race, religion, sexuality, gender, etc. And this is nothing new.

Obama didn't create "African Americans for Obama" because he's black; he created this sub-campagin simply because he has plans to help that community and he's hoping to earn their vote.

Unless of course you think Gingrich's "Hispanics for Newt" is racist. Then by all means, carry on...

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So we can't have cuban Americans for Obama or sportsmen for obama? Is it somehow racist for subgroups to band together to elect their favorite candidate?

17. eric/ Guest

eric/

Another example of the need to rid ourselves of skin color as a factor in anything

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

One thing we know fo'sho.

White folk have little idea about what's reality [source] ...

Pay gap persists for African-Americans

African-American workers continue to earn far less than whites, according to statistics released by the U.S. Census Bureau.

Furthermore, little progress has been made over the years to close the income gap. At a per-capita income of $18,054 in 2008, African-American earnings were just 57.9% that of whites' $28,502. That was a slight improvement over 2007 when black income was just 56.4%, but down from 2005, when it was 59.3%.

Reasons for the gap

According to Morris, much of the shortfall may be traced to educational achievement. The Census report revealed that only 19.7% of African-Americans had bachelor's or advanced degrees. That compared with 32.6% for whites. And 17% of blacks had not graduated from high school, exactly twice the rate of whites.

Family wealth, low for blacks, also restricts opportunities; it limits access to good schools growing up and private colleges in young adulthood.

Wealthier families also tend to have wider social networks of successful friends and relatives, often a key to opening a door to a higher-paying career.

Morris said discrimination also plays a role, with the NAACP still documenting cases in which blacks with equal or better qualifications are offered less money to do the same jobs as white colleagues.

And once anyone, white or black, settles for less pay than they deserve, their earnings power can be affected for years. Working a low-paying job usually means climbing the earnings ladder step by step, with income lagging behind other members of an age group every step of the way.

----------

And another reason for a little outreach [source] ...

Black unemployment: Highest in 27 years

The August jobs report was dismal for plenty of reasons, but perhaps most striking was the picture it painted of racial inequality in the job market.
    Black unemployment surged to 16.7% in August, its highest level since 1984, while the unemployment rate for whites fell slightly to 8%, the Labor Department reported.

"This month's numbers continue to bear out that longstanding pattern that minorities have a much more challenging time getting jobs," said Bill Rodgers, chief economist with the Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University.

Black unemployment has been roughly double that of whites since the government started tracking the figures in 1972.

It's so nice that we live in a color-blind country. :rolleyes:

19. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

Um... so those with a higher education earn more money. Those who know people find broader opportunities and those who don't settle for low pay and find high pay get paid more in the long run.

Thanks for reaffirming common sense.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Thanks for reaffirming poor reading comprehension skills. You apparently didn't absorb these paragraphs ...

Family wealth, low for blacks, also restricts opportunities; it limits access to good schools growing up and private colleges in young adulthood.

Wealthier families also tend to have wider social networks of successful friends and relatives, often a key to opening a door to a higher-paying career.

Morris said discrimination also plays a role, with the NAACP still documenting cases in which blacks with equal or better qualifications are offered less money to do the same jobs as white colleagues.

I know you'd just like to breeze-over these.

It's a little harder for blacks to do likewise.

21. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Wow. Really?

22. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

I read it all. I still stand by what I said. It's 2012. Blacks have just as much of an opportunity as other races. If they are held back it's their fault not the "white devil's". They need to stop basking in the woah is me mentality and join the rest of the world. It's hard out there and it's up to the individual to create what they want out of life whether you are black, white, yellow or otherwise.

23. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Don't kid yourselves. The Black Leadership in this country have made themselves billions of dollars by promoting the continuation of race hate, as well as by continually beating down their constituents and supporting social welfare policies that create generations who rely on public aid and continue to live in near poverty, all to maintain their own positions of power and control.

That's the only reason race hate still exists, and it's not going away as long as this power structure is still in place.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nice inclusion of "white devil". :rolleyes:

On this issue, I'll have to disagree with you.

Wishing and hoping doesn't dispel racism and its effects.

I'm afraid the road to equality is longer than you'd like to believe.

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Here's some education.

If there were an african-americans for Romney area on his website it wouldn't bother me one bit and I dislike Romney very much.

It's sad that there are no african-americans for Romney out there though.

Your post does seem to center around white though. That's odd.

and btw. There doesn't need to be a "whites for Romney" because they are all white.