after 10 years of using a PC...I made the switch to a MBP...WTF is this????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ekcivichb, Jan 11, 2011.

1. ekcivichb macrumors newbie

WTF is this machine? How was I not on this a long time ago...

I am in love with it...simply amazing...got a base model 15" and literally cannot wait to get home from work everyday to use it...

Glad to be part of the Mac family and I do not see myself ever going back to PeeC.:D

2. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

same. the aluminum build is so nice and sturdy i don't know why i waited :)

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The MBP is a pretty badass machine. Customer wise, MBP is consistently rated one of the (and sometimes the) highest repeat-buyer laptop. We can look at specs and magazine reviews all day but the most moving evidence is the fact that the MBP is not cheap and yet MBP buyers have no objection to spending the money. When they do upgrade their laptop, they often get another MBP. Also, overall ratings of product satisfaction put the MBP at the top of the food chain.

Also, OSX compliments the MBPs solid design to make a durable, reliable and stable machine. Good stuff indeed!

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

lol ... welcome to the world of Mac.

shhh ... it's a secret ... the Apple stores are crowded enough.

Seriously, enjoy your Mac ... it gets better and welcome to MR. :cool:

5. Synthion macrumors regular

-Proud owner of a Macbook Pro 13"

I was ready to defend Macs, but then I read your post. (the title is a bit misleading) I have a baseline MBP, but it is the fastest, classiest, best computer anywhere. :)

6. auhagen macrumors regular

Stop!!

Return it as quickly as possible!! You've become infected!!

Once you got a MBP it will soon take over. Then you need a iMac, then an iPhone, then an iPad :p

I know why I waited, and that was simply because of the price tag, but when i got some money i bought a 13.3" MBP 2010 and soon there will be a iMac in the collection too.

7. ekcivichb thread starter macrumors newbie

Althought I am in love with my Mac...i do not see me ever parting ways from my Blackberry...i got the ip4, and went back to BB within a month...

BBM is too addiciting..and I need a keyboard...but app wise, its crap.

Ipad...yes, it does interest me.

8. liavman macrumors 6502

MPBs get better resale prices than windows based systems, say after 3 years. For those who upgrade their systems every 3 years, I think, even price wise, the net cost of ownership is that much different for an equivalent Windows machine.

But it is hard for people to think that way. May be there is a business model for selling Macs that capitalizes on this fact.

9. solos72 macrumors newbie

LOL yeah I have the same symptoms, got my MBP last year and I'm getting a rash in my hand, the doctor is prescribing an iPhone for that :D

10. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i felt the exact same way when i made the switch. there are still a few quirks that piss me off almost daily, but i will never go back to a pc.

11. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

It's what it feels like driving a Porsche 911 after driving a Toyota Camry for 10 years :D

12. liavman macrumors 6502

Hey, that is exactly me. I am driving a Camry for 10 years... Hmmm..You are now giving me ideas for my next car!! ;)

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Most everyone feels the exact same way :D Unfortnately people get hostile if you tell them how awesome the mac side is.

Congrats on your purchase OP and welcome to the family!

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

15. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Welcome to the Mac experience. I have only owned a Mac and am amazed when I go home and my family is all PC's. It's the elegance of both hardware and software. It must be daunting to see those frequent software patches and opening all those windows in order to do a simple task. I would need to open two or three applications just to check my emails when it's just one icon in my dock to launch the mail application. I think that Bill Gates makes his money one mouse click at a time...

16. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Yes, after a day of using Dell's at work, coming home to my Mac is like having a tall glass of iced-tea on a hot summer day.

17. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

I second that :D

18. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

19. 63dot, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Many people make a modest switch to a Macbook or Mac mini and they are very happy.

You took a pretty big step (mobile core i5, 4 gigs RAM, GT 330 M) in going for the rather expensive 15" inch MBP, but I can't think of a better intro to the world of Apple (other than the 17" inch MBP) ;). I also think you will like the sheer power without having to recharge as much on a similarly configured PC laptop and the relatively thin, light design is a plus.

Welcome.

20. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I had the same AHA moment back in April. Been a PC guy since around 1995. Built my first custom PC in 2000 for audio work. Built a handful of custom PCs after that. After trying for months to get PC laptops running audio recording programs smoothly, and researching desperately to find one that was "proven" in one way or another to do audio recording well (and not pay up the wazoo for it), I decided to try out a Mac, just for kicks.

Got my hands on the base model 13". Well, I was hooked pretty much instantly. Granted, getting around the filesystem was a little confusing at first, and still can be at times (only because I know where everything is on a PC like the back of my hand). But I've also learned I don't need to know as much about the inner workings of the Mac because I need to dive into it to troubleshoot problems much much less.

But it's safe to say I'll never buy another PC in my life. In fact, I just sold my old quad PC tower on craigslist. I prefer my MacBook Pro to it anyday.

21. randomerratum macrumors 6502

I'm a staunch mac-vangelist for precisely that reason... once you start using a mac in your day-to-day, you very quickly start to see and feel the differences.

The biggest difference for me was realizing that I'm not doing that thing anymore where I take my hands off the mouse and wait anxiously as the cursor turns into an hourglass and all the computer's innards fire up as if I've asked too much of it... with a Mac, you can be fearless. When it freezes or hiccups (which is so incredibly rare by comparison) you don't feel like it's your fault. It just works like it should despite your best efforts!

This is an experience you only realize you've had after using it for a couple of weeks. Occasionally, I find myself sitting in front of a PC and it's incredible just how archaic and clunky it feels in comparison.

22. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

:apple:'s are just plain awesome. I'm not totally one-hundred percent converted over because I play one game that is only playable on a PC. (I'm not going to get parallels becauses my cousin-in-law says it will only slow my MBP down and I am always helping the non-converts do things in thier machines. (One laptop and one tower.)

23. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Seriously... this is how I felt last year..... Honestly, I cannot imagine anyone using computer for all day not on mbp.

I have no money to spare but I will get new mbp this year!

24. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Same feelings here when I switched from a lifelong PC user to my 13"MBP.

Never going back. :apple:

25. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Proof that when you go Mac, you never go back XD.

Yes I started out with a PC, and I hated every aspect of Windows alot of things on it was just a huge headache, made the switch in 2005 to a Powerbook G4 which is my first Mac and never will go back to PC.

Since then I have upgraded to a iMac 27" i5 and plan on replacing the Powerbook G4 with a Macbook Pro in the next coming months.