After 10 years of using laptops, I finally spilled liquid on mine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eshyn, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Eshyn macrumors member

:mad:

My brand new 15" uMBP.

Given, I was intoxicated (not pleased with myself) and I knocked over a half drank bottle of beer onto the right side of the computer. It wasn't a lot but the majority of the fluid sat on the right speaker; a little got on the keys. I immediately wiped it up, held it upside down and then shut down the computer.

Nothing really dripped out when I held it upside down so I don't think that much made it in. It definitely managed to seep through some of the tiny speaker holes and probably right onto the Superdrive.

I know this wasn't very smart but this morning I just had to turn it on and see if a lot of damage had been done. Everything seemed to be working fine - booted up normally, no real weird noises or anything. I tried to eject the disc I had inside but it didn't work. I could hear the drive trying to eject but it just wasn't coming out. I fear that enough beer made it through the speaker to get stuck up in the Superdrive. The speaker worked fine.

I have an appointment at Apple on Tuesday for them to fix it. I know this is probably going to void my warranty and be fairly expensive but it was my own, stupid mistake and I need to get my computer up and running again ASAP.

Has anyone had a similar experience with a uMBP? How much does it cost to replace the Superdrive? What else is on the right side of the computer that could have been adversely affected? I also fear some liquid may have made it's way into the computer through the vent at the base of the screen (there is a vent there, no?).

Any and all input is much appreciated!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Even though you've already turned it on, you should still remove the battery and leave it off 'til your Apple appointment.

3. Eshyn thread starter macrumors member

I would really prefer to not open it. I really don't think enough liquid made it in to fear contact with the battery.

What would be the worst case scenario? Battery starting a fire?

4. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

If there are exposed connections it could move the liquid around and cause a short, etc. I would agree to leave it off until your appointment, but in all fairness it probably dried within 24hrs or less.

I feel ya. I've never done the liquid thing, KNOCK ON WOOD!, but I did once put my laptop down next to me on the recliner, and when I got up to go get some water I kicked the foot portion down and heard a snap.

Turns out I had put my laptop (some old POS gateway) in between the recliner chair, and the arm and when I kicked down the foot portion the arm flipped and basically supplied enough pressure to crack my screen in half...lol. I had those horrible crack spots diong a tree routine up the middle of my screen. It was sad.

Good news is I still used it, by turning it into a desktop for my wife hooked into her monitor since it was more than enough power for what she used her older PC for, but it still sucked.

5. Eshyn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input. And I'm sorry to hear about what happened to yours - what a nightmare.