After 146 Years, Ringling Bros. And Barnum & Bailey Circus To Shut Down

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"After its nearly century and a half run, Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus plans to shut down "The Greatest Show On Earth."

The historic American spectacle will deliver its final show in May, says Kenneth Feld, the chairman and CEO of Feld Entertainment, the producer of Ringling.

Feld announced the news on the company website Saturday night, citing declining ticket sales — which dipped even lower as the company retired its touring elephants."

A post in another thread reminded me about this. Seems, the loss of the elephants and declining sales has put an end to the greatest show on Earth.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ng-bros-and-barnum-bailey-circus-to-shut-down

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's sad to see an institution with so much history fold. But I'm happy that the animals will no longer be schlepped around and forced to perform.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Took the words right out of my mouth. The circus isn't closing; it's just moved to Washington.

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Circus' are antiquated and gross. Abusive to animals. Good riddance.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Cirque du Solies is growing, and while not exactly the same shows there is a demand.
    And a number of smaller circuses still in business.

I think they where too stuck in their formula.

6. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Funny enough my little G wanted to go ... I was kind of baffled, what's the interest, clowns? No way. The animals? No, she's pretty into seeing them in their natural surroundings (she has in fact said, "I'd love to see lions in Africa where they're happy, but they seem so sad in a zoo", keep in mind, she's 8 :) )

Well, turns out, it was the trapeze, high wire, all the dance/gymnastics type stuff (she's into both after school, and some MA , pity the poor boy who ...)

So I showed her Cirque du Solies and she flipped out, so we're headed down to Orlando for a show sometime in the very near future :)

7. SusanK macrumors 68000

8. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Taking my daughter to one of their last performances in May. She first saw them when she was like 4. She will be 17 this time.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Even though I was never a fan of the way animals were treated, this does make me a little sad in a way. It seems like so many things are passing into history. Kids today don't even know what a record store was. Now even malls are struggling. And shows many of us grew up with like this one and Sea World's whale shows are now going to be a thing of the past too.

Man I feel old.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Through many a decade, RB/B&B was the only way kids got to see lions and elephants and such. The acts were the best, and the clowns were great.

As far as circus animals in general, I can see it as cruel to the predators. But elephants, as with horses and oxen, are in use as work animals around the world. As long as they're fed and have veterinary care they do just fine.

However, the Hillary whiney people are as clownish as needs be, I guess. Rachael Maddow is a good example. :D