After 220 cycles, iStats says 87% battery health

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reach9, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Hey guys, it's been a year since i got my MacBook Pro 13", i joined these forums for that reason. It's my first Mac.

I've been noticing recently that i'm going through really bad battery life. I know how Apple tested 10hrs on the MacBook Pro, i went through the same and i got half the battery life I should've.

I restart/shut down my Mac a couple times during the week. But it overheats when i'm on a virtual machine, or playing a game.

I've also calibrated the batteries once a month.

I'm currently at 87% Battery health according to iStats, with 5062mAh. I know that the battery health is supposed to drop after 1000 cycles, but this is ridiculous. The last time i saw anything above a 95% was during the first few months of my purchase.

Is this normal? I'm still under the warranty, should i go to my local Apple store?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

seems fine to me

mine has 90 cycles and is ay 91%

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Battery life drops continuously from the first time the battery is connected and power drawn from it. It does not magically maintain 100% capacity until it hits the 1000 cycle count.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quite normal. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

1. The advertised 10hrs battery life (on 2010 and earlier MBP models) is the absolute maximum battery life you can squeeze out of the MBP, with it basically sitting idle.

2. Realistically speaking, under normal use (basic tasks + light, flash free, browsing, bluetooth off, and display brightness at ~30%) you should get 6.0-6.5 hrs of use. Apple has revised their battery readings to 7hrs for the 2011 MBP models despite the fact that the batteries used in the 2011 models are of the identical capacity to those used in 2010 models.

3. Make sure you calibrate the battery properly - not by just draining it.
    a. Plug in and fully charge the MBP
    b. Leave it plugged in for at least another 2 hrs
    c. Unplug the MBP and use it until the battery fully drains and the laptop powers down automatically
    d. Wait at least another 5 hrs
    e. Plug in and charge the MBP fully
    Done!​