After 37 Years in Prison, Innocent North Carolina Man Freed

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Jan 31, 2015.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judges-70-year-nc-man-wrongly-convicted-decades-28434441

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Another reason why The Innocence Project is so important.

Of course there are those who just see Liberals siding with Criminals against the state.:eek:

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Saw this on the news. Hope this guy gets paid well.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Most states give you $300 and a slap on the ass on your way out for wrongful imprisonment. I don't expect he'll get much.

6. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Just found this.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=132262

7. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/Compensating_The_Wrongly_Convicted.php

But of course the state will try it's hardest to find loopholes. What I put in BOLD is completely unfair and contradicts how the courts do it's daily operations.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

How do you compensate a man for 37 years of his life?

9. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

You can't. But he should be owed the right to live the rest of his life comfortably.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

If it was somewhere with capital punishment, he could have well be executed.

11. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Exactly. For openers, get rid of the death penalty. No way to compensate for applying that to an innocent person.

Monetary compensation for wrongful imprisonment should ensure the person lives above poverty line for as long as he was deprived of his freedom, or for the rest of his life, whichever is shorter. And yes, this should be at taxpayer expense: we're who paid the people who wrongfully managed to stick him into the slam, whether by intention or laziness or carelessness.

The longer you're in prison, the further reduced are your chances of making good for yourself. You can lose the future benefit of any mentors, educators, family that might have been there for you if you were not imprisoned. What a nightmare. If we don't want that nightmare for ourselves or our kin, then we have to not want it for anyone else, because it could happen to anyone.

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This was in North Carolina; they DO have capital punishment. Luckily he was not sentenced to that or he would have been executed about 20 years ago now.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Agreed
    I Quit supporting the DP because of these cases.

14. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I'll volunteer a wild prediction.

No one that participated in the wrongful prosecution of this man will see any consequence for their actions.

15. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

For starters, you could charge all those responsible for the faulty prosecution with murder.

There is no better way to reduce the number of wrongful convictions by overzealous prosecutors who willfully ignore evidence than having the threat of severe jail time imposed on themselves.

16. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It was almost 40 years ago. There's a pretty good chance many of them are not alive today. Besides, they did their jobs to the best of their abilities at the time. There was no DNA technology then, unfortunately.

----------

I wonder what it must be like to get out of prison after 37 years. Must be like being transported into the future. The changes and technological advancements must be overwhelming.

17. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

What should be a given for EVERY STATE AND FEDERAL CONVICTION ..... is to pay them actual minimum wage for all time they worked for just cents an hour. Someone who's been inside for decades can receive hundreds of thousands in back pay. I'm surprised I haven't heard any law suits to get that.

18. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I beg to differ, finding the most convenient suspect is hardly doing their jobs to the best of their ability and you can't use lack of DNA technology back then as an excuse.

Keep in mind, a supposed ideal of our legal system is that it is better for 10 guilty people to go free than for 1 innocent person to be jailed. Simply coming up with a plausible theory of how a crime may have been committed and getting a jury to convict a convenient suspect who most likely didn't have the means for an adequate defense, doesn't meet that ideal and is far from exhaustively trying to determine the truth.

19. FreemanW macrumors 6502

If there was a system where . . . . .
    . . . . results in an innocent man being imprisoned for thirty-seven years, that system is not just broken . . . . it is not a system.

And those who would claim they were just doing their jobs . . . . it's unfortunate that their failure at finding their correct livelihood resulted in the wrongful prosecution of an innocent man.

They should suffer some consequence for their actions.

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

If you are wrongfully imprisoned in germany you then owe money to the state because they provided you with food and housing. In the US you leave a millionaire.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Where did you find that in regard to Germany? Here the guy won't be a millionaire, but he needs to be able to afford basic necessities without problems. He doesn't have any money set aside for retirement. He doesn't have assets of any kind or even an employment history. I don't see any other way to do it.

22. kendall69 macrumors regular

Oh C'mon now.

EVERY system is imperfect, if it's run by man or machines. Our entire system is bad, but better than most.
    Every day the innocent get put in prison and every day the guilty go free.
    Dexter was the only true system equalizer, and even he got it wrong sometimes.
    You want an example? We have an non USA citizen as President and everyone knows it and looks the other way.

23. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

"Provided you with food and house"? So basically Germany punishes people for wrongly punishing them? WTF kind of messed up ******** is that?!

But no, you don't leave a millionaire. This guy SHOULD have left a millionaire, as it's the least the state could do for taking away 37 years of his life! Instead he'll get a pittance.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

I am german and there have been plenty of cases.
    I'll look it up exactly later, but the going rate is like 20k€ that you recieve per year for wrongfull imprisonment, but then they send you a huge bill for housing and food. There is no point in sueing anyone here.

----------

He can sue and probably get a lot of dough.
    Germany is ridicolous and you can not expect common sense.
    You just have to be a ruthless **************** to get anything done here, otherwise people take advantage.

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's amusing that you believe this wouldn't have been found during the vetting process. Have you looked at any of the supposed points that have been brought up in this regard?

Apart from that no one argued that innocents don't get put in prison. I already mentioned the reason they should receive recompense. An apology doesn't secure their situation if they are released from prison many years later.

That seems nonsensical. It also shouldn't require suing the state. That is just a waste of additional resources.