After 4 years, the YouTube app still sucks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Apr 15, 2011.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Apple really needs to look into the issue of poor YouTube performance on Wi-Fi. I looked the issue up and they said router settings are to blame...one issue if I am at school or work, I don't own the router! Why can it load fine on 3G and on my Mac, but not my iPhone? Even for private training vids, they load SLOW on Wi-Fi.

There is no reason it should take longer than the video to load the video.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yeah its brutal, most people say use the safari version the app just plain sucks, no real fix

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I agree 100%, I switched to using the safari version.

4. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Once you realize what the native YouTube app is downloading, you'll realize it isn't slow nor does it suck. It actually downloads HD instead of HQ like the mobile YouTube does (which is why it loads faster). Do a comparison between the two apps and you'll see the difference.

What Apple needs to do is put a quality setting in the app.

6. El3ctronics, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

El3ctronics macrumors 65816

The search on the YouTube app is also a joke. There are no filter or search preferences at all.

7. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Safari version would be great, unless I want to click on a YouTube link, it opens in the Apple one.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I agree, the YouTube app sucks. It's probably their worst app. And worst of all is it's built-in. They need to do something about it in iOS 5. Too bad it doesn't seem likely.

9. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The YouTube App hasn't been a problem for me so far (touch wood). Sure, it doesn't have all the nifty features, but it works for what it does on my phone.

11. victorvu macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I agree. I avoid watching YouTube on iPhone as much as I can

12. honeytoast macrumors regular

Turn on parental controls and block the YouTube app. Then the links will open in Safari.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

YouTube (Google) should create their own app instead of the native crappie one.

14. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I want to add that the iPad version is just as slow for me :-(

15. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

I've used it maybe 3 times? I always use Safari. I can't stand the youtube app. Half of my subscription's videos were not even being shown because I was not 'subscribed' to them... Garbage.

16. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

They wouldn't be allowed to.

17. jayenh macrumors 6502a

I used to have huge issues with YouTube. It would take literally minutes to load a 15 second clip. I don't care what the quality is, my broadband isn't that slow.

I read about resetting safari cache, cookies and history. It kind of helped, then when I upgraded to 4.3 everything got better. I could actually stream almost instantly rather than waiting for it to buffer 80-90% of the video. Not sure why it fixed it for me but not some others.

18. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

it may load hd on the but it takes minutes to start sometimes and when it finally does it stalls out for minutes again no matter how fast your connection is...

Who cares about HD quality on a 3.5" screen anyway? And if you say your streaming it or something to your TV your telling me you dont have any type of recent hardware at all that has netflix built into it? Pretty much any DVD player out there has it now, any xbox, ps3 or wii, and all the newer tvs sold have it built in.

no idea why some would stream it from there phone in the first place..

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I haven't had those issues. It just loads incredibly slow for me which is what HD does on my Mac. I'm not trying to suggest using the native app. I use the mobile version since most of what's on YouTube doesn't need to be seen in HD.

20. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Even aside from the intermittent loading issues mentioned above... the navigation is just crap. There's no search filters, channels are handled really badly, playlists are handled clumsily etc etc.

It's a really terrible app. Admitting so and just pulling it so Google could make their own at this point would be considerably preferable.

Phazer

21. Nuesoul macrumors newbie

It does suck on the iPhone , whether I'm on 3G or wifi. I'll use my droid x to watch YouTube. My android does have HQ setting over wifi & that could be the problem with iPhone , no setting

22. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Im just surprised that people actually use the app. That was probably the first things I got rid of.

23. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

After 5 years, the YouTube app still sucks. iPhone/iPad loads HD video on WiFi.

24. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

25. irDigital0l Guest