iPhone After 7 years of jailbreaking, I think I actually bricked an iPhone!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Snide, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Long story short: today I installed ResetAllKiller, and it appeared to be working on 7.1.2, as the reset fields were greyed out. A couple hours later the iPhone 5 (quite ironically) went into the dreaded boot loop - so it's the prime suspect. I tried booting while holding the + volume button, which prevents Cydia extensions from loading. No luck. Spent all day researching every conceivable solution, including using iFunbox to access the file system. Even more ironically, although I have always installed OpenSSH on my phones, I didn't think about it this time (!).
    With iFunbox, The phone wouldn't show up unless I held down the + volume key until the phone vibrated, then the phone would show up in the app for 2 or 3 seconds, then disappear, So I wonder if SSH-ing into the phone would work anyway. Finally, and with great remorse and heartbreak, I bit the bullet and attempted to restore to 8.0.2...

The only way iTunes sees the phone is in DFU mode; after it downloaded the firmware, I got the error "This iPhone is not eligible for this firmware build" - again and again. I even re-downloaded the firmware.

As the title suggests, I've had jailbroken iPhones on every iteration of OS /IOS, starting with Apptap on 1.0.2. I've NEVER been unable to restore to a stock firmware, so this is a first. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In the meantime I'm going to get my old iPhone 4 (with shattered screen) activated so I'll at least have a communication device. ;-)

2. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

3. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

If in DFU mode it still tells you your iPhone is not eligible for the requested build, it means you have an incorrect entry in your hosts file. Open your hosts file and remove any entry for gs.apple.com, save, and then attempt the restore again.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You cannot "brick" an iPhone 5 via software modifications (if you have been jailbreaking for 7 years you should know that - only exception is flashing iPad baseband to newer 3GS)

Apple no longer signs 7.1.2, so if you are trying to restore to 7.1.2 it cannot be done - even with saved SHSH.

Your choice is 8.0 or 8.0.2 (last I checked Apple was still signing both for iPhone 5)

5. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

^^ Your point is noted ^^ (perhaps mentioning 7.1.2 was unnecessary)

So, "if" he has his host file pointed to Apple, not Cydia, if he disables/removes any AV and firewall programs, if he has Internet access, if he correctly has his device in true DFU mode, and chooses a signed firmware version - the restore will succeed.

7. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Agreed. My money is on the host files.

8. Snide thread starter macrumors 6502a

Snide

Thanks! Indeed, deleting the xx.xxx.xx.xx. gs.apple.com entry in the hosts file did the trick.

Now all I have to do is figure whether I'd be happier with my non-jailbroken iPhone 5 on 8.0.2, or my jailbroken, shattered-screen iPhone 4 on 6.1.

Please cast your votes! ;-)

9. dipstik macrumors newbie

10. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

Go to a third party and have them fix the screen on the 4. Upgrade the 5 to iOS 8. Best of both worlds.

Better yet, sell both and have enough money for a 6. I'm sure we will eventually see an ios8 jailbreak.

11. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

I agree with the latter:D

12. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

What jailbreak apps you using? It's becoming less and less necessary to jailbreak. Theming and customization remain my main motivator but from a functionality point of view iOS 8 offers a lot.

13. Snide thread starter macrumors 6502a

Snide

I have to admit, I'm really enjoying many of the new features / improvements of IOS 7 / 8, so the tragedy of being stuck with a non-JB iPhone for the first time ever has been softened somewhat. FINALLY (after many years) there's not so much need for SBSettings, etc.

While I had quite a few JB apps, UI mods, and tweaks, the things I really miss the most are biteSMS, f.lux, AskToCall, AllMail, ForeCast, and TetherMe.

14. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Yeah, 8 is solid and will improve with each update. There nice new additions to iMessage including a quick reply feature and voice messaging, improvements in the native mail app as well. A few notification widgets are starting to make an appearance too, some are quite useful. Vidgets is an interesting one. The keyboard word predict feature is useful, and if you don't like it install a 3rd party one. Siri has been improved. So yeah, there still a huge amount of value to be gained from jail breaking but also from updating to iOS 8. Pleasant predicament.

15. vols macrumors regular

Boot loops seem to happen with me as well. I had to replace my iPhone due to them. I installed tweak the other night and after shutting down my phone for over 15 mins, it finally booted. Scared me to death, removed the tweak and it's been fine ever since.

I just hate the idea to ever have restart my iphone...as it may or may not come back.