After a couple of weeks with iOS 7, I'm starting to forget my initial qualms I had.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Bobby Corwen, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Some of you like me who were initially shocked and upset with iOS 7 might agree that after all the drama washed over, we are more or less back to just feeling OK with the phone setup.

I guess a big part of the initial shock was that it was an opportunity for a bright and dynamic fantastic new re-invention.

But remember how we all felt like we "wanted something fresh" a couple years back? Some people even jumped ships to Androids (via escape pods I assume).

But what has ACTUALLY happened is, maybe, what JI was trying to do finally permeated through to us eventually, and the OS, just, disappeared.

Maybe, we werent actually looking for a new design, we were looking for there to be NO design.

Less, literally became less. And we were still used to wanting more, but it instead became more like nothing.

Its still the same thing, but now it all blends together.

Its like a vague consciousness of our users' mind where the thesis of all simplicity, that you shouldnt even "feel like youre using it or its there," actually established itself in our habit and I'm starting to more and more agree with the vision they have.

I guess the new quick access pane was enough. The rest was subtractive in nature.

The idea of "just focusing on the content" might be less exciting, but it also feels less wrong than it initially did because I can actually feel the simplicity at work in a slightly more beneficial way than before. Which makes me feel less disappointed.

It all just kinda blended back into my day to day use and I realized I didnt need a fancy new facade and I never really did.

It was always going to boil back down to daily use patterns. And that is what they focused on because that is all that mattered.

Anyway, Im starting to realize that now after the newness wore off. That it was always going to wear off.

2. reservedegotist macrumors regular

To a certain extent, yes, content is more apparent as the surrounding context fades out, slides away, etc.

On the other hand, the combination of iOS7 being in beta and the slower animations make things more distracting. It's a work in progress, but I think it's a big step in the right direction.

3. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

4. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

They've been pretty slack lately, if they exist - this forum is trashed with complaining, whining iOS 7 posts. Back to work janitors!!!

5. AFDoc, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013

AFDoc macrumors 68030

I can't forget one major qualm..... The freaking day glow colors! Overall I like it but would really like for them to add a feature like gridlock so all the freaking tiles aren't forced up and to the left. I don't understand why the haven't implemented this feature. I also don't like the combo address/ search bar...I keep hitting the .com button as I don't look down as I type and the Space bar is so tiny now.
    Lol you're out of your mind if you believe that.... One thing MR is famous for is silly rants.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In glad that iOS 7 has started working for you, but for me, it just hasn't.

Of course, the stuff I really care about is the content, but I find that I can't help noticing the UI, because I do need to manipulate the UI to get to the content. Every time I want to create a new note, I need to tap that hard-to-see, light yellow on white background "New” in the Notes app. Every time I want to swap tabs or open a bookmark in Safari, I have to squint at the light blue, skinny thin line icons and try to remember which was which. You'd think I'd develop muscle memory for the button positions, but no. I seem to rely on visual clues. And then, in the switch tab view, the skewered angle of the pages make it very hard for me to make out which page is which. Scrolling horizontally through all the tabs took longer, yes, but I could clearly see each page as I scrolled. All these little details take my focus away from the content and make my user experience less enjoyable.

Of course, this is MY experience. And for those who find that the UI don't bother you, I'm glad for you.

7. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

If you really go back and re-read it, none of those criticisms are very legit.

Compared to the upside of lets say, the new swipe to go back and forward.