After a day with IOS7...my plans to buy a 5S are gone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nostresshere, Sep 19, 2013.

1. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I was all set to buy a 5S on Friday (or whenever I could get one). After just one day using IOS7 - I am not going to do it.

Sure, IOS7 has some slick new things, but I find the screens hard to read. Some changes made for no apparent reasons in day to day operations. Has Jony Ive gone too far?

I never, ever, ever thought this would happen.

2. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

It's an entirely new experience than what you are used to. Give it a few days, and I think that it will grow on you. Lots of cool new features which you will really enjoy.

3. mr1581 macrumors 6502

Yeah have been using it since beta testing started and I don't think I could go back to 6.0

4. UKapple macrumors member

My mind was pretty much made up that I would sell my 5 and get the 5s, however after installing ios7 last night I'm finding it really hard to justify paying out all that money when the 5s is gonna run pretty much the same as my 5 with a few exceptions like touch ID etc.

IOS7 seems like a refreshing change but one thing I immediately don't like is the new calendar app. The monthly layout doesn't show any notes that you may have made for a particular day, you have to physically go into that day to see any reminders you've put in.

5. terzinator macrumors 6502

I've heard stories of people who had the betas who were skeptical of the new OS (or even really disliked it) at first. But then after a few days, they loved it.

So, I'd give it time.

But nobody likes to be wrong, so maybe I'm wrong!

EDIT: Five posters beat me to it!

6. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Not like you can go back to iOS6 anyway... So....

7. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

I'm the complete opposite. If the 5S was shipped with iOS 6, I would view that as a huge devaluation of the product. I think you'll grow to appreciate the refined design of iOS 7 with time.

Keep in mind, it took 6 iterations to get iOS 6 the way it was. iOS 7 is very much a starting point for merging hardware & design. I think that they came out with a bang, so I am very excited to see this philosophy grow within the company.

8. sleepyking macrumors 6502

I also feel this way. was ready to shell out for the 5S but after iOS 7 I'm happy to stick with the 5. the only reason now I would really get a 5S is to switch to white, as with this new update it seems it looks better in white, but that's not nearly enough reason to get a new phone.

also with they kept the calendar app the same. on top of that another member posted that some of the new designs, while nicer than iOS 6, are just way too minimalistic. I believe the example was Newsstand. Surely there has got to be designers at Apple that had better ideas than things like that.

9. javisan macrumors regular

Any of you noticing sluggishness in general? I have an iPhone 5 and it is noticeable when typing and doing other stuff.

10. gerbilbox macrumors regular

Have you tried changing the text settings? There's a font size slider now in General, and an option to make text bolder under Accessibility. I hope that helps.

11. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

your stuck with ios7 anyways... why not upgrade to at least have a better phone.. don't people upgrade for the phone not the ios....

downgrading is nearly impossible these days anyways...

12. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Listen I felt the same way ... Had iOS 7 on Dev account for awhile now

I was like the company is going down in flames mad at the 1st beta release

It did grow on me after about 4-6 weeks and several tweaks

There are a few things I still don't like ... Small / hard to use scrolling a in the timer app etc

13. mr1581 macrumors 6502

I'm only upgrading to the 5s because of 2 reasons.. 1) I have an upgrade available 2) so next year when I upgrade to the 6, I'm not selling a 2 year old phone

I just sold my 5 for $450 last night

14. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Ditto. I returned my 5 for a replacement yesterday at the Apple Store (broken sleep button). The refurb has IOS6 on it and it drove me nuts until I had time to upgrade back to IOS7.

I did not like IOS7 when I installed the first DP but now... I can't see myself returning to IOS6. Definitely grows on you.

15. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I was considering a 5s but iOS 7 has almost changed my mind for a different reason - because it's so good.

I literally feel like I have a brand new phone - will definitely check out the 5ses (is that the plural?!) in the Apple Store, but I don't really have any burning desire to upgrade.

16. DowdyFick macrumors regular

where!?

17. UKapple macrumors member

I was also going to get the white/silver as the light colours of iso7 seem to go really well with it. I think it will just take time to get used to the new teaks to the OS. The 5 is no slouch and I'm sure I can live with it for another year!

18. user-name-here macrumors 65816

So, since all iDevices from here on out are iOS 7... does this mean you are no longer an iOS user?

19. mr1581 macrumors 6502

eBay

20. gmhag macrumors regular

2nd this. I was so excited about getting the 5S because of what i had seen. I had never really thought about the fact that the 5S looked so awesome was because it was running a new OS. Now that I have iOS7 on my 4S, what does upgrading to the 5S get me? Better camera, Touch ID, larger screen (but not large enough). I dont know, but I'm much less anxious about getting the 5S on opening day.

21. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

I've been using iOS 7 since beta 2. Yesterday, when using my wife's iPhone 5 to show her how to upgrade from 6 to 7, the whole interface felt heavy and clumsy.

You'll come to appreciate the new design pretty shortly. Yes, there are two things I'm not a fan of (I don't like the new music player 'all album cover art all the time' layout -- wish there was an option for a condensed layout like we used to have; and not a fan of the calendar layout -- not as easy for me to make sense of the screen all at once), but there are so many other big wins that I wouldn't go back no matter what.

22. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

Was that you net earnings or what it sold for? The fees + shipping + paypal fees add up.

23. Tomacorno macrumors regular

This may be a little ridiculous, but I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS7 this morning. Runs fine and I like some of the new features already, such as the control center from your lock screen. But I thought that the new icons looked ugly. Then I realized they looked silly with the background that I had for iOS 6. I changed the background to the new night sky and now I like how it looks and it is like a new phone.

My contract ended in July and I waited to see what Apple would announce and I think the 5S is, of course, a significant improvement over the iPhone 4. But honestly, my trusty old 4 feels like a new phone right now. If my monthly donation to Verizon was not rubbing me so raw I would keep it longer. But right now, in my view, my contract ended in July so my phone is paid for but here I am shelling out a phone tax to Verizon for an over two year old phone. Didn't Ma Bell get in trouble for such practices at one time? I would even take my 4 over to T-Mobile if it would work on their network.

24. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

same here. I couldn't stand to use phones with 6.0 while using beta iOS7. It is so much better once you get used to it!

25. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

This is a very good way to look at it. It has me excited for the future of iOS!