After a year of looking, I finally got a job!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Prof., Jul 3, 2009.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I now work at Jewel-Osco (supervalue to some of you) in Glen Ellyn, IL. I know it's not the most luxurious job, but during this economic recession/depression, money is money so I'm happy. :) I'll be in the bakery making cookies, bread, cakes, etc. Maybe I'll be able to eat the broken ones? :D

I'm 20, btw... for anyone who was wondering.

I hope to save up $2,000 for community college and $5,000 for my future car. :)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Congrats on the job!

Be on time... work hard... and show them you can be dependable
    Try to save a little of your money too

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Congrats and schooling is always a good investment to make! :)

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Congrats on the job. I know how tough it can be - it took me a month to find a summer job, and even that's a part-time position with crappy pay.

To save, open up a savings account with ING or someone similar. You can set it up to automatically take a certain amount from your chequing account every X days, so you could (for example) set it to take half your paycheque every payday and put it right into your savings. Makes it really easy to save. :)

5. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

it only takes 2000 dollars to go to community college?! :eek:

6. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Congrats on the job. Do you have any prior bakery experience or did they hire you/willing to train you? Good idea to save and go to college but you also never know where this will take you.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Congrats, time to change your vote here.

I DEMAND A RECOUNT.

8. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

It's $120 per credit hour per class. I'm only gonna take some mental health classes at first (i want to be a social worker for troubled teens) so I can ease my way back into the whole school thing. I haven't been in school since high school.:eek:

if you want to be a full-time student, I think it costs either 10k a year or 15k a year. I am not certain tho..
    There's a bank inside Jewel. The HR lady said i can set it up so they take 50% of my paycheck and put it in a savings account then the other 50% in my checking account. So that's what I'm gonna do. :)

I bake with my mom whenever she bakes cookies, pound cake, cupcakes, etc... dose that count? :p

I have to go thru 36 hours of training.

9. noaccess macrumors 6502

10. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I'm happy for you -- congratulations! Mmmm, I love the smell of baked goods happening. Would be great if they let employees take the broken cookies or the lopsided cakes home, eh?

Tell us what you end up baking so we can drool...

This has gotta beat a lot of jobs for atmosphere at least.

Good luck with school :)

11. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Congrats on your new job. My sister worked in a bakery and she really enjoyed it. Hope you do too.

When do you start?

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

They make it so easy these days! :) Sounds like a good plan - the easiest way to save is to park part of every cheque in an account you don't have a debit or credit card linked to. Sounds like you'll be fine. :)

13. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

14. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

I start Monday. :)

15. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Is this your first official 'job'? Not sure if this was already mentioned.

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

Welcome to the rat race. Inside knowledge: the rats always win.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Congratulations on the job! :)

Sounds interesting.

Good plan! Always good to save.

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Wow...education costs have really gotten out of hand!

Granted, it was 22 years ago when I started community college, but it was like $19 a credit hour. Public university was about $8000 a year for tuition, fees, AND your dorm room.

Just the same, congratulations on the job - it's a great feeling! And I think you have a pretty good handle on what to do with your earnings, so props to you for that!

19. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Nope. this will be my third job.

20. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Congratulations!

It's great that you have a savings plan in place already. So many people told me to put a certain percentage away, no matter how much (or little) I earned, and I didn't listen for years.

And good luck on the schooling thing too. Social work is a calling, and if you are willing to answer the call, godspeed. :)

21. brax.j macrumors regular

If I were you I would put more money towards college than a car right now. A car is instant gratification but the schooling will pay off a lot more in the long run.

22. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Noooooooo! Turn back while you still can! :D Just kidding. Social Work or Mental Health is a great career, but be wise about how you proceed. Starting with community college is a great idea. You will only make decent money if you get a Masters or Doctorate degree. Mental Health is one of those fields where you can often put yourself through school while actually working on the job. Once you get some classes under your belt start looking for ways to get a job in the field. There are tons of programs out there where you can work without a degree like the YMCA or Boys & Girl's Clubs. If you put some time in with one of these places then you may become eligible for tuition reimbursement which will further help you complete your education. Don't go get some super expensive undergraduate degree because you are most likely looking at a starting salary somewhere in the 20's with your bachelors. That's why pursuing a Masters, Licensure, and possibly a Doctorate is the way to go.

Congrats on the new job, baking is a great skill that you will no doubt find many uses for in the future. And good luck with your education and career. Let me know if you have any other questions that I might be able to answer.

23. natebookpro macrumors 6502a