After all the waiting, what if everything is soldered on the new iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rawdawg, Sep 17, 2012.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

Add a month to whenever Apple decides to remember about their actual computer users and announce new iMacs because that's how long OWC speculates it'll take before they have custom upgrade options. Even after all the waiting I will not pay Apple for their insanely overpriced upgrade options. And to learn the thing may be soldered would make all this waiting useless to me.

Would they do such a thing?

2. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

The iMacs have always been one of the easiest of the mac family to upgrade the RAM with. Everything else has always been a pain. I personally don't think they will have any excuse to solder the ram other than to actually come clean out with it and say that they want you to pay for their official upgrade options. For the rMBP it could be said that their excuse was so they could make it more compact, lighter and more portable. An iMac doesn't need to be more compact light and portable than it is.

Of course though, this is apple, and these are their products. Technically, they can do whatever they want and people will still buy them. It sucks I know, but thats bussiness for you.

3. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

true about the RAM.

I guess I should have mentioned by upgrade I was considering upgradable SSD options (which is a bit more complicated) and OWCs eSATA upgrade.

4. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I dont think that is going to be much of a problem. I find it unlikely that the new iMacs will only have an SSD option and no BTO option for Hard drives since they are aimed for the consumer market over pro. The rMBP only has an SSD option and these are a lot easier to solder to the logic board or make custom parts for. However, in order for them to keep flush with the options between SSD and HDD i beleive that they will still use eSATA connections for their storage options therefore making the storage upgradeable. Just getting to it inside the machine in order to upgrade is a different story all together... :rolleyes:

5. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

well this certainly makes me feel better -- thanks for the reply.

The fact I'll have to wait an additional undisclosed amount of time for OWC to have the teardown and upgrade options... that's a different story.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I would solder in ssds if I were them. I don't understand why you would want OWC to add an aftermarket ssd. Thunderbolt is a far better way to make an ssd upgrade.

Number one zero warranty issue with the iMac.
    Number two the thunderbolt is instantly replaceable if it breaks.

I have used Lacie little big disks as booters for alomost 9 months in my mac minis no problems.

The only way I would use an aftermarket install from any company would be they are local and I can walk the machine in.

7. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

8. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

Not sure about the pricing of Ram on the rMBP but if the iMac gets soldered ram it better be a reasonable price to max it out (owc price equivalent) or that will be enough to drive me to PC. Reason being. iMac is good for what I need anything lower won't do. Mac Pro too expensive. Paying an extra $1000 for ram that I shouldn't have to is enough to make me deal with Windows.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

If the RAM is not upgradeable, then I won't buy it. Simple. If it's upgradeable and it looks like a solid performer, then I may buy it and forget about the mythical 2013 "amazing" Mac Pro. It will be a tough choice, but I already have the TB storage. Extra CPU and GPU power is now on the requirements list. The new iMac may satisfy those requirements, but that remains to be seen.

10. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I just want to point out that the redesigned 2009 Mac Mini unibody model was designed specifically so that the ram is very simply to upgrade. They even marketed this feature.

I can see why the ram is soldered onto the notebook computers, to save space. I have some faith in Apple that they won't go crazy and give us a soldered/glued iMac to save 1" or something.