After contract, is the iPhone 3GS yours to keep (and sell)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rsted222, Oct 19, 2011.

1. rsted222 macrumors regular

Sorry, but I'm clueless on this topic. I have a 3GS and my contract is over...so how (or can) do I go about selling it? Is it considered "unlocked" after the contract is over?

Thanks in advance.

2. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

You could have sold it the moment you got it.

Who is the carrier? In the UK o2 and Vodafone will unlock for free but its not done automatically.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The contract being over does not unlock the device but you are free to sell it at any time as long as you fulfill your contract (make monthly payments)

4. rsted222 thread starter macrumors regular

5. rowley macrumors 6502

rowley

6. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Not sure about the US but you may need to get it unlocked via a 3rd party or sell it to someone on AT&T. (which would be easier of course :D)

7. rsted222 thread starter macrumors regular

It's a black 16GB

...and I'm in the US, but might put this up worldwide via ebay (if that's the way to make more money).

Of course, I'm guessing now I could just take an easier route and sell in the US to an AT&T customer...locked.

8. andyx3x macrumors 65816

You can sell a 3GS without fulfilling your contract. It might ruin your credit if you don't, or pay the ETF, but you can sell it at any time.

9. wpotere Guest

It is locked and AT&T will not unlock it. You will have to sell it to someone on AT&T or try to unlock it yourself.