After erase and restore Time Machine backup, can I download newer docs from iCloud?

carizma22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Houston, TX
The unthinkable happened, my 2015 MacBook Air running High Sierra wouldn’t reboot. With Apple’s phone help, I had to erase the disk and restore with a time machine backup. But it’s dated January 7!! This means all the docs since then are lost.

I have docs backed up to iCloud. Can I restore the more recent docs, excel files etc to my laptop? Desperately hoping there is a work around.

Thanks in advance.
Carole

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
The unthinkable happened, my 2015 MacBook Air running High Sierra wouldn’t reboot. With Apple’s phone help, I had to erase the disk and restore with a time machine backup. But it’s dated January 7!! This means all the docs since then are lost.

I have docs backed up to iCloud. Can I restore the more recent docs, excel files etc to my laptop? Desperately hoping there is a work around.

Thanks in advance.
Carole
This should happen automatically if iCloud document sharing is turned on?

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
How do I turn that on?
Before you turn it on, that raises the question of what you mean when you say that your files are backed up on iCloud. Did you not do that in the first place by setting the mac to keep your docs in iCloud? If not, how did you back up to iCloud?

carizma22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Houston, TX
I’m not seeing any recent files in my iCloud Drive, which I thought would have everything in it. But since I erased the OS on which I created the documents, would a backup still be in the cloud?
- - Post merged: - -

Sharing is turned on.

I think they are gone.

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
I’m not seeing any recent files in my iCloud Drive, which I thought would have everything in it. But since I erased the OS on which I created the documents, would a backup still be in the cloud?

Sharing is turned on.

I think they are gone.
Yes, if you are sharing your documents directory with the cloud, the files should be in the cloud even after you reinstalled the OS. (I assume you didn’t really just drag your documents directory into the trash or anything).

carizma22

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Houston, TX
Thanks for your help everyone. I’ve decided to go see an Apple genius. I’ve got an appointment late on Monday. This whole iCloud backup baffles me. Plus I have a RAM problem. I’ll come back later and let you know what I find out.