After fighting Nazis, Captain America takes on teabaggers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sky Blue, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Marvel Comics' depiction of anti-tax protesters inspires anger, apology

[​IMG]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100211/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1129

2. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Doesn't seem as offensive as the DC comic where Superman helped the Nazis dig mass graves for Jews held in concentration camps.

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

5. Sky Blue thread starter Guest

Sky Blue

They do, I guess. They also play video games, watch movies and post on internet message boards. Crazy world!

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Love it :D

The writer/artist missed one thing, they forgot to miss spell some of the words on the "protest" signs :p

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

"America not Americant"

I think that qualifies as a misspelling.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I really doubt that Captain America would support high taxation, ridiculous levels of public debt, wasteful spending and an absence of accountability. IOW, he oughta be "fer it, not agin it" when it comes to Tea Party views.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The tea party don't have any views. Noone here has found a single policy they support.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"Noone here has found a single policy they support."

You mean some of the folks here are the be-all, end-all of what's right and proper? How arrogant do you want to get, anyway? Somebody appointed you the El Supremo Guru Over All?

I know some folks who went to the Tea Party gatherings. They espouse the points I made above.

So if you're against those policies, you favor wasteful spending, massive debt and little or no accountability in government.

Kinda hard for grownups to ever be proud of that sort of silliness...

The police estimated some 35,000 at the Alamo. No political signs were allowed. No speeches or demonstrations either for or against polical parties were allowed. No right-wing or left-wing crap. Attendance was multi-ethnic, spread across all age groups.

Strictly bread-and-butter fiscal issues--and how to make some real changes, not mouth-music phony change, come November.

11. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

After fighting Nazis, Captain America takes on teabaggers

After seeing the title and then reading the post's I felt let down I thought I’d be in for a good laugh but guess not.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If that's what the Tea Party really supported, who would be against it? Sorry 'rat, the Tea Party has become a voice for homophobic, xenophobic jerks. That was illustrated by their first ever convention. The cartoon even illustrates that. Quite frankly, if the Tea Party means what you say, then you need to get rid of these extremist wackos.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The real question is how they are going to solve those problems and they have no ideas for doing that.

14. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Wasteful spending = universal healthcare for the T-bagger? You also favor little or no accountability in the financial industry?

See the government is not the end of the world. It is not the best solution, nor the worst. It is needed plain and simple...

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Which is proven to be an absolutely terrible idea of the highest order.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

What's Marvel apologizing for? Whether it was meant to be a tea party protest or not, it doesn't appear to be an inaccurate depiction.

Maybe the tea party doesn't like what it sees in the mirror.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Captain America dislikes traitors. Is anyone surprised.?

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just as well you remembered to misspell misspell. :D

19. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Indeed. More to the point, Captain America is unequivocally an agent of the political establishment. A movement that likes to paint itself as opposing the real life political establishment should be flattered at being interpreted so credulously.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm old enough to remember the real protests of the 1960s. Those were indeed against the establishment.

I never thought I'd live to see the day when the establishment staged its own protests.

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

That pretty much sums it up. It should be their slogan.

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

opiniioncircle, I know of nobody who rationally believes in "no government". Societies function best with rational governance. That's pretty much a given, and has damn-all to do with liberal or conservative.

How you make the leap from an objection to the lack of accountability in government to favoring a lack of accountability in the financial industry is beyond my understanding. Mutually contradictory, looks like.

As far as the health care thing, I've said several times before, here, that the objection is to the absence of meaningful "reform" and the increased costs to clients/patients which will ensue.

But anybody who thinks that this current level of deficit spending and these meaningless "bailouts" will somehow re-create a viable economy is playing solitaire with a three-suit deck.

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I believe in no government and I'm pretty sure it's not listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders so it's probably rational.It's just that I don't believe human relationships should be controlled by the threat of violence and when it comes down to it that's what government is.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the irony in Republicans/tea-baggers demanding an apology for something that wasn't PC? Captain America, Family Guy, Rahm Emmanual, etc...

I thought the right hated PC and the liberal thought police.