After getting iWork for free, will it stay free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by borgqueenx, Sep 19, 2013.

1. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Apple says its for new devices bought free. iphoto pages keynote imovie etc....

but what if i purchase them for free on my brand new 5s, and then want them on my ipad...will that work for free as well?
    im wondering if apple didnt secretly make sure its only for new devices.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I believe it is only for new devices that are bought with iOS 7 already installed.

3. fenjen macrumors 6502

fenjen

If I understand correctly, you buy a new device and it will give you the option to accept them and get them permanently on your account, so I think yes.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

For a device purchased after Sept 1st, 2013 that qualifies for iOS 7 or has iOS 7 installed.

iPhone 4 - current
    iPod touch 5th generation
    iPad 2 - current
    iPad mini

If the device has iOS 6, once its updated to iOS 7 it will then prompt the user to accept the free apps and it will then get added to the user's iCloud account and can be re-downloaded at any time from any of that user's iDevice that has iOS 7 or greater.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you buy iWork on your Apple ID with a new device, you get all the apps everywhere you use them with your Apple ID. Basically that means on your iPhone and iPad. Between this and iWork in the cloud, it seems Apple is taking a major swing at Google's OK Docs and Microsoft's Office juggernaut.

Nobody, absolutely nobody (OK, just mostly nobody), would use $300 or whatever Office if not for needing to be so compatible with every other person stuck behind a desk all day hashing out spreadsheets. Google Docs and iWork in the cloud are free. iWork apps might set you back $90 on both Mac and iOS. DEAL.

6. Serban Suspended

7. OVERTASK macrumors 6502

OVERTASK

No, that's the catch.

8. Serban Suspended

Maybe if you buy a new iphone and a new mac you get maveriks for free along with the iWork free for iOS and MacOs

9. OVERTASK macrumors 6502

OVERTASK

I don't think so. I think Apple is going by the similar model of iOS updates being free.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

That didn't happen for me on my iPad 3.

11. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You get them all free when you activate a new iOS device on or after September 1st once it's running iOS 7. The apps are then linked to your iTunes/iCloud account and can be installed on any others that you own as well.