After hard reset of Airport Express, still asked for PW...old PW doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kurtster, Mar 7, 2011.

1. kurtster macrumors member

I'm trying to help my parents over the phone deal with a problem with their Airport Express, and I'm now at wit's end. Any advice is welcome.

The story so far...
    After not being able to "see" the AE from the Airport Utility program, I had them do a hard reset. They confirmed seeing the amber light blink rapidly, so I'm sure the hard reset succeeded.

Turns out, they couldn't see the AE because the wi-fi client on their windows machine was turned off (sigh). After turning it on, sure enough, it now appears in Airport Utility. However, clicking on the "Manual Setup" button or the "Continue" button in Airport Utility brings up a box asking for a password. The old password doesn't work. FWIW, the light on the AE is currently green.

They also noticed that in Airport Utility, under the icon of the Airport Express that appears on the left side of the window, the former name of the network has been replaced by " 802.11" (or a number like that).

Another weird thing is that their iPad is connected (they can read/send e-mail), but the Safari icon at the bottom has disappeared. Similarly, at Settings > Wi-Fi, the former name of the network has been replaced by the number mentioned above.

To recap, my questions are...
    1) Why are they being asked for a password in Airport Utility even after a hard reset?
    2) Is their some generic password they can type in?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

They did not execute a true factory reset.

Google/MRoogle it and either walk your parents through those steps, or maybe they can pull up the link on their iPad. If it was a true factory reset, everything will be wiped out.

3. kurtster thread starter macrumors member

That's what I'm starting to think too.

They must be in some kind of restricted access mode now.

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

5. kurtster thread starter macrumors member

Good idea. I just checked, and that option is selectable even without logging in.

6. nothingworks21 macrumors newbie

i have tried pressing base station but the restore is whited out and unable to press on please help me!!!!