After having an iPad 3, the only way I will buy the updates laptops is

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yano729, Apr 21, 2012.

1. yano729 macrumors member

if it has the Retina Screen, I mean once you get one and start using this thing, and then hold it up to you laptop or tv it kicks ass. If apple doesn't include a retina screen in either the Macbook Airs or the Pros, I think they will be doing themselves a great disservice.

2. marcovortex macrumors member

marcovortex

/thread.

..lots of other treads are talking about this and other possible updates to the Airs and Pros.

3. Psychj0e macrumors regular

Thank you marcovortex. The internet is certainly a lot safer because of self-appointed internet policemen such as yourself.

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Lmao. Well said.

I have the new iPad and the retina display is certainly stunning. But it's not that big of a deal for me to get that sort of resolution on my iMac or MBA. I don't use either at the same viewing distance as my iPad, so the difference wouldn't be huge.

Now the color gamut on the other hand ... absolutely stunning on the iPad.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Retina is great on the iPad but a laptop is used for different purposes so since it will likely cost tons of battery power then it's just not worth the trade off.

Obviously if we can get both retina and battery life I want it all but that's a big IF.

6. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

They managed it for the iPad...

7. bit density macrumors 6502

It will break ALOT of important software

Almost everything by the major producers. Microsoft,adobe, and auto desk. Because of that. Laptops will be the last to go HiDPI. And when it does happen all that pirated booty you have will stop working properly.

8. Liquinn Suspended

Pirated booty? XD

9. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

I agree! Retina screens are amazing , and unfortunately the retina screen is tempting me to go iPad over Macbook Air...

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Pixel density doesn't need to be as high on your laptop because you (should) position your head considerably farther away than you do with your iPad.

11. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I agree, but the double sized HiDPI textures indicates they might do the same pixel doubling as they did on iOS. That would allow legacy software to continue to work with existing graphics, but the fonts automatically upgraded. It seems odd that going way beyond the retina threshold is an easier option than matching it, but that appears to be the way.

12. Dunbar macrumors 6502

I just got an iPad 3 yesterday and I definitely notice more graininess when I go back to my 13" MBA :(

I wonder if OSX could handle higher resolutions of a retina display. I know Windows handles higher resolution displays pretty poorly. The most annoying part being the miniaturized text.

13. crashnburn macrumors 6502

Its not poor handling by Windows or any other OS. Some people want the smaller text and have more working space on a High Res screen.

If its too small for you, go and change the DPI aspect (thats what I did for my dad who like the High Res screen sharpness on a Full HD Thinkpad, but wanted the controls to be bigger).

14. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

At the end of the day all screens are going to keep on evolving this includes laptops desktops tvs. Go have a look for super hd tv tot see the things that are coming soon.

15. Dunbar macrumors 6502

Some web pages won't allow you to bump to text size up in Windows (or it doesn't work for whatever reason.)

16. crashnburn macrumors 6502

1st - Are you talking about Windows & Apps? - Answer I mentioned above
    OR
    2nd - Web pages inside a browser installed on Windows? - Soln: All browsers can be adjusted for default sizing based on preference or can be conveniently zoomed in and out with a simple mouse scroll.

Just because you do not know how, does not mean it cannot do so.

17. Dunbar, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

Dunbar macrumors 6502

I know what I'm doing, some pages in Windows (as I mentioned in my previous post) do not respond to zooming. Bumping up the default font size screws up how all pages look and is not a good solution. I didn't post here to get into an argument. I was making a larger point that operating systems are not currently set up to handle high resolution displays.

18. crashnburn macrumors 6502

Its not about argument. You make blanket statements without any specifics in a vague manner.

When you make a statement like that please back it up.

I have been using High-Resolution only for years. 2560 x 1600 on 30" LCD, QXGA on Thinkpad 15" and similar machines with Max Resolutions. I've run Windows and OSX & Hackintosh OSX on most.

Used most browsers and plenty of web browsing & development. I have not found any issues that hint to what you say.

If you do have such a predominant experience then please DO SHARE with us. I'd like to actually see what "major" issues you are facing with high res on OSes.

19. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, with a battery that is much larger than the iPad2 and, iirc, it's has a similar capacity to the 11" MBA.

There is a lot more going on in a laptop than in a tablet and the CPU/GPU uses a lot more power in comparison, so where could they get a larger, improved battery from? It is certainly a technical challenge.