Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azmandius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hello people,
I am first time here as visitor and as iPod user.
Nice to meet the community, and I hope to have good time here.
Now, I would like to move to the trouble subject.
I own a classic old iPod A1040 with 30GB HD and simple Firewire connection, not USB.
A friend of mine formatted it using windows XP and now my iPod Access for Windows software can’t detect my iPod anymore.
I use Windows XP as well. Windows OS can see and use my iPod as removable media HD, but I can’t upload music to it using some software because its not seen as an iPod.
Any ideas what did my friend do, and is there any hope for me to use it as player, not just removable HD?
Thank much in advance.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Hello people,
I am first time here as visitor and as iPod user.
Nice to meet the community, and I hope to have good time here.
Now, I would like to move to the trouble subject.
I own a classic old iPod A1040 with 30GB HD and simple Firewire connection, not USB.
A friend of mine formatted it using windows XP and now my iPod Access for Windows software can’t detect my iPod anymore.
I use Windows XP as well. Windows OS can see and use my iPod as removable media HD, but I can’t upload music to it using some software because its not seen as an iPod.
Any ideas what did my friend do, and is there any hope for me to use it as player, not just removable HD?
Thank much in advance.

Upgrade iTunes to the latest version from apple.com/itunes. Plug iPod in, open iTunes, and click Restore.

Azmandius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2008
It was very simple: install iTunes and Restore iPod to factory settings.
But installing iTunes I found lots of crap that I don’t use, like QuickTime and Bonjour installed on my machine.
I was wondering what is the most simple and efficient utility, free or commercial to copy music to and from iPod, without the need to install all the Apple crap?
Thanks a lot.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
It was very simple: install iTunes and Restore iPod to factory settings.
But installing iTunes I found lots of crap that I don’t use, like QuickTime and Bonjour installed on my machine.
I was wondering what is the most simple and efficient utility, free or commercial to copy music to and from iPod, without the need to install all the Apple crap?
Thanks a lot.

Simplest utility would be iTunes, unfortunately it needs QuickTime (Apple Crap) to work. You could always delete Bonjour if you feel the need to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.