Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smikes22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
Heyy everyone.

I need some help after hearing tons of suggestions yesterday. After hearing all the problems with IOS 5 & Siri... do I go with 4 or 4s? Apparently, there will be a recall on 4S, hence why they are no longer stocked in Verizon stores.

Someone please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Heyy everyone.

I need some help after hearing tons of suggestions yesterday. After hearing all the problems with IOS 5 & Siri... do I go with 4 or 4s? Apparently, there will be a recall on 4S, hence why they are no longer stocked in Verizon stores.

There is no recall on the iPhone 4S.

If you are worried about iOS 5 problems, iOS 5 exists on both iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S so no difference there.

If you are worried about Siri, well it's in Beta, and works 90% of the time for me. It's only going to get better.

If you want to be locked in for 2 years with last year's phone (actually 18 months old), then by all means get iPhone 4. If you want to have the newest phone, with a better camera, a dual core processor, and the ability for Siri then get yourself an iPhone 4S.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Recall? No, there is no sign or word of a recall. About the only problem that has been truly manifested is the battery problem. iOS 5.0.1 has fixed that for many people and the next update is supposed to fix it yet again.

Siri is still in beta and experienced outages early on because all the new 4S owners were using it all at once. Outages aren't really happening anymore.

I am totally happy with my 4S and I do recommend it.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Who told you there is a recall? The major problem with the 4S is excessive battery drain, for a minority of users. Most of those problems were fixed by 5.0.1, and the few that are still having battery troubles will likely be fixed in 5.0.2 very soon.

Also of note, this is a software problem with iOS 5, not a hardware problem with the 4S. People with iPhone 4 's on iOS 5 are still experiencing the same problems, this is not exclusive to the 4S.

What problems are you referring to with Siri? Other than when it was unable to connect to the server for a short while, there haven't really been reports of widespread problems.

I think you need to find a new source of information because wherever you are getting this info is a joke.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Heyy everyone.

My advice....whoever was giving you tons of suggestions yesterday - don't ever ask them for advice again.

smikes22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
Thanks guys who were helpful, im obviously not the most tech savy person thats why i came here. the person who told me all this recall/issues info i had just met and was making a good argument at the time.

But, I dont base my decisions on one persons word. So thank you again everyone that guided me on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
My advice....whoever was giving you tons of suggestions yesterday - don't ever ask them for advice again.

+1 on that!

Worst advice i have ever heard, that guy must know something we 4S owners doesn't ;) And i'm guessing he doesn't even own a 4S, the guy who gave him the advice that is not you smikes22.. It's good that you made a thread in here instead to get the real info clearly :) +

I recommend the 4S, no problems for me at all, battery life is good and Siri works great etc.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Recall? I don't think that'll happen. Only day I had a problem with siri was the first day when everyone was putting a hurting on the Apple servers.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
SIRI has been working exceptionally well for me. I think for some people, the novelty has wore off, which has lightened the load on the server. So for people who actually use it for its intended purpose, and not to screw around with it and try to confuse it, it works well.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
Definitely 4S. Trust me on that. A much better camera, duo core processor, revamped dual antenna, and it may just be me, but I swear the retina display looks better too. I've already had several friends decide to get the iPhone 4 (former BB and Android users), a couple of weeks before the 4S was slated to come out, on contract to save cash. They were totally happy with the decision. Then some of us upgraded from the 4 to the 4S, they got to play around with it. Now they are kicking themselves for not waiting and spending a few more dollars.

SIRI location finder only works in the states. But as some mentioned already, it is still in beta stage, so all the quirks should get ironed out once it goes to v.1.0. But as it stands it's not bad at all. I do have my own tongue in cheek moments with SIRI, but I keep telling myself it's in beta. lol

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Thanks guys who were helpful, im obviously not the most tech savy person thats why i came here. the person who told me all this recall/issues info i had just met and was making a good argument at the time.

But, I dont base my decisions on one persons word. So thank you again everyone that guided me on this one.

Okay and? Your original post had no info on someone telling you this information. It seemed like you pulled it out of nowhere. Try to look at it from the other side first. Again, I am referring to your original post.

Last edited by a moderator:

HKUSP.40

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Nobody is going to start a thread talking about how their iPhone 4S works perfectly fine. So the only threads you see are about the few who are experiencing issues. Keep in mind that there were over a MILLION units sold within the first 24 HOURS. Even if I saw 1,000 people with issues..that's still only 1/10 of 1% (.001).

Bottom line...get the 4S. The 8MP camera, overall speed, and Siri are well worth it IMO.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Nobody is going to start a thread talking about how their iPhone 4S works perfectly fine. So the only threads you see are about the few who are experiencing issues. Keep in mind that there were over a MILLION units sold within the first 24 HOURS. Even if I saw 1,000 people with issues..that's still only 1/10 of 1% (.001).

Bottom line...get the 4S. The 8MP camera, overall speed, and Siri are well worth it IMO.
So true. It's called a vocal minority.

Also, thank you for mentioning the camera ahead of the other features. It's freaking amazing! :D

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Also, thank you for mentioning the camera ahead of the other features. It's freaking amazing! :D

Just a quick comment on that...we were getting ready to go to Thanksgiving dinner at my Mom's house yesterday, and I said, "Wait, we need to take the camera!" And right after, I said, "Wait, I have my iPhone, so we're all set!" It was like a commercial, but it happened right in my kitchen :)

The 4S camera is stunning.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Heyy everyone.

What problems? What recall? Sorry, but you're spouting nonsense. The 4S is a wonderful maching. IOS5 is a wonderful OS. The right direction would be about face. Good luck.

Learylvr.

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
I agree, the person who told you about the recall and all the 4s problems probably doesn't even own a 4s. My 4s hasn't had 1 problem since I bought it. It's been perfect. No issues with Siri either . Great choice.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
Hey, the OP was just asking a question. It's obvious that he made it clear he isn't in the know, hence why he's here asking. Some of the replies weren't even informative, they just pointed out the fact that the OP was ill informed. Which he made pretty clear...at least to me. So you can't really blame the guy for being a little taken a back by some non-informative replies and reacting to it as such.

And the "recall" he was thinking about, it wasn't a recall per say. But Apple did make an announcement that those having battery issues with their 4S, to go to the Apple Store and have it swapped out with another 4S. Not exactly a recall, but can easily be mistaken as one, if given the wrong or incomplete info. These forums are for helping people with questions, and unless they are complete douche bags, no reason to badger the guy. Plenty of fan boys in the Apple Forums that rather raz people looking for help than helping (hence why I started hanging out here more often). I've always found people on MacRumors to be generally helpful and courteous.

----------

My HTC Evo 4G supposedly had an 8mp camera, but the 4S really blows it out of the water.

It's the addition of the IR lens that makes it a step above the other 8MP camera. Some don't realize that it really isn't just about MPs, the lens have a lot to do with PQ as well. Hence, as you said, "the 4S really blows it out of the water".

Here's an interesting read about camera comparisons. Interesting read. And I'm glad I upgraded to the 4S. :) http://bit.ly/vminO0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.