After how long can I get a T-Mobile locked iPhone 6s unlocked ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ahmadka, Oct 9, 2015.

1. ahmadka macrumors newbie

Hi guys. So I purchased an iPhone 6s about a week ago, but it's the locked version, which is locked to T-Mobile currently. This was the first time I ever purchased a locked phone, so I'm curious after how long can I request the phone to be unlocked ? And would I have to request Apple to do it, or T-Mobile ?

I saw on ModMyi that unlocked iPhone 6s's can now be purchased too, so I guess I'm trying to see if I should continue using my existing locked iPhone 6s, or exchange it for an unlocked one.

2. darkintragedy macrumors member

After 45 days of service.
    And if you bought it on EIP through T-Mobile, only after at least 2 payments have been.

Probably just easier to return it and exchange for an unlocked one.

3. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

Any phone purchased outright (full purchase price) directly from Apple or through the Apple Upgrade Program should be unlocked from the time of purchase.

4. ahmadka thread starter macrumors newbie

So you're saying the phone I bought is actually unlocked already (even though the SIM tray had a T-Mobile SIM in it) ? Is there any way to test whether or not my phone is unlocked, apart from actually trying to use another carrier SIM ?

5. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

Yes, even though it had a sim in it, it should be unlocked and will work with any sim. Many users here in this forum have reported just that...activating with the carrier in the store as required, and immediately popping in a sim from another carrier with no issues.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

There's no way to test outside of using another sim.