After many years of being careful i finally... [dropped my iPhone]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kariya, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Kariya, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

I've always gone without cases and stuck with screen protectors mostly due to confidence in how i take care of my devices and have been successful with my decision...until today.

Today gf flooded me with a rapid burst of messages and consequently, my 5S kept vibrating up to annoying levels. So i reach into my pocket to grab the phone and reply.

As i'm pulling the phone out in my usual single-continuous-motion of; grab by the home button to awake, pull out of pocket, and twist wrist/phone into orientation, the phone doesn't swing into orientation and instead goes flying. I fumble to try and salvage but only manage to increase velocity and trajectory instead.

Next thing i know the phone is airborne, then bang, jump, twist, ding, twist, and bang on the concrete floor.

I instantly get that feeling anyone who's dropped a precious gadget knows all too well. I assess the damage and thankfully its not too bad. But there's a ding near the headphone jack, scratch on the chamfer near the speaker grill and the screen had unbuckled and slighty deviated upwards. Managed to click the screen back into place but the rest of the damage can't be helped.

Phone still works though and i at least have Applecare+ but i'm hearing they don't replace for cosmetic damage. Resale value now slightly lowered too. Oh well...

PS. still not getting a case

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

3. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Good thing you have Applecare ($99) so you can pay another $80 to replace it if needed down the line.

I simply bought a $6 slim slider case instead so I don't have to worry about such things.

4. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Well you could always have "sound" problems if you really need a new phone. I'm not saying I recommend it as the 5s is in short stock and there's people waiting on there first one, but I can assure you that if you go in and tell the Genius that you're having issues with the speaker cutting in and out sometime... That sometime you have sound sometime you don't... Ill guarantee you a new phone. Reason is when they run the diagnostics it says nothing is wrong, but you told them it only happens sometime so they give you an option of restoring or a new device ...

Again it's not something I would recommend doing a lot or even now, but it does work...

----------

Or you have AppleCare and it covers cosmetics...

5. Kariya thread starter macrumors 68000

Kariya

Yeah i may go for a replacement several months down the line. But nothing serious enough to warrant seeking one at this point in time.

6. e1im macrumors newbie

I know how you feel. I hadn't dropped a phone since having what I think was a razr2 on my lap in the car. After that day I said i'd never do it again. Almost to the year with my ip5 (had a 3g, 4, 5 and now 5S) about 2-3 weeks ago sure enough it was on my lap. Got home and stepped out of the car and splat right onto the concrete driveway it went. I don't use a case either but luckily there was only a few minor scratches/dents around the edges. You're not alone :)

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

8. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

Had my iPhone 5s (no case or anything) on the counter in my kitchen on a dish towel. I grabbed the towel, not realizing my iPhone was there, and it flew across the room landing quite harshly on the tile floor. Picked it up, no damage whatsoever. No scratches or anything.

I guess I got lucky!

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Bummer!!! I remember when I dropped my 5 in like June. Same way... I have a lot of scuffs on the edge and it's pretty chewed up around the headphone jack. The worst is the chip out of the glass!!! (Pretty tiny and in far upper right corner of phone, not on the screen)

It's okay, if it still works might just rock it for a bit in case something else happens. Plus we're starting a trend -- the "worn electronics" look. I wouldn't want to use one of my accidentals yet. Wait 6 months or so.

Another plus is you don't have to worry as much about what happens to it anymore.... It's very liberating

10. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I just know everyone wants a perfect phone. I know I have to have mine perfect and it sounds like you like yours that way too... That said, as long as it's minor I would try to not let if bother me... TRY being key lol

11. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

if you paid with a credit card, most will cover accidental damage within 90 days. I know American Express does...

12. mrgossett macrumors 6502

Today at school, I dropped my iPhone 5 for the first time since getting it a year ago. The drop was on a hard tile floor. Just last weekend, I decided to buy a new CaseMate Tough case to replace one that I felt might not be too protective. Thanks to that new case, everything is fine, phone is still pristine, and even the case is undamaged :) :)

13. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Why do people tell us these sob stories? No different then getting a girl pregnant without using a condom. If you go unprotected your asking for trouble.

14. wxman2003 Suspended

The big difference is a replacement phone costs $79. Girlfriend and child support about $200,000.

15. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Man, that is exactly verbatim how I cracked my iphone 2G screen. Pulled it out, flew out of my hand, tried to grab it which sent it tumbling faster and farther, right into the curb!

It happens. Charge it to the game bro. I still go caseless!

16. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I have had every iPhone since the original and never once have I cracked a screen, I have dropped them a few times and lucked out. I know it is just a matter of time. Meanwhile my brother has cracked more screens than years of his life. :D

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Well at least this not another phone-in-the-toilet story.

18. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I use the same motion though in the middle of the screen, balance movement.

19. g4manimac macrumors 6502

This is why I have applecare just in case I do this and I have a worse outcome and child support is $89 a week in my case but both are worth it!At least your not running and trying to get a new phone or even worse doing what some people suggest and cause intentional damage just to get a new one!I just do not understand that WHY would someone do that as long as my phone is useable and not cracked why in the heck make it any worse and risk the warranty and even worse go without the phone.

20. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

But doesn't it feel oh so good

21. Fission macrumors regular

I watched my GF send her IP5 flying onto our hardwood floor...No damage at all. It had a very thin Seidio surface case on, but still. Is the glass getting stronger? Seems it takes a direct hit from something with a lot of pressure (nail) to crack the glass.

22. KPOM macrumors G5

True. Plus, the way I look at it, there's no sense putting it in a case to "protect" it. You see the phone pristine all of 2 times. Once when you take it out of the box, and once again just before you are ready to get rid of it.

----------

Damaging a $600 phone is a little less expensive than getting a girl pregnant. :rolleyes:

----------

That's a lot of iPhones! (about 300 by my count).

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I doubt it's for cosmetic. It has to be more serious like cracked or shattered screen.

24. sucka free macrumors member

I'd take 89 dollars a week all day long !!

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Drops are bound to happen regardless of how careful you are. This is why I use a case on my phone.