After much deliberation...I ordered a G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Lain.v2, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. Lain.v2 macrumors newbie

    Nov 6, 2003
    I am going to buy a G5 1.6 over a G4 2x1.25.

    1.) It’s the most I can afford to spend on a complete system and I can not wait any longer for bigger and better and cheaper.

    2.) Price is roughly the same.

    3.) The upgrade path of a G5 is better than that of a G4. Like newer 8xAGP Video Cards, speedier SATA hard drives, 4GB RAM.

    4.) The psychological future resale value will be better. In the future when most people know that G5s are the “current” models, it will be overlooked / forgotten that all the way back in 2003 a G4 Dual 1.25 was in fact a little faster.

    5.) Software will get optimised for the 64bit architecture, thus it is possible that future software will run faster on the G5 than it does on a G4.

    6.) Audio features are better than that of a G4. 5.1 Digital sound anyone?

    The G5 has negatives offcourse, like less hard drive bays, less optical drive space, at the moment no much software is optimised for it, it comes with only 256mb RAM, wont fit under my desk and wife does not like the look of them. But for me the positives outweigh them.

    So if I had to give advice to anyone chewing on this question themselves?

    If you want to buy a system with current software available and not update / add new hardware / software ever, then buy a G4 as at the moment the benchmarks suggest it’s faster. But let’s face it, most people update their hardware, update the software, install new software, install exciting new games…

    At the end of the day though, I am still unsure with my choice :)

    Thank you everybody for your comments and suggestions.
  2. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    Congratulations on your purchase of a new G5 1.6. I agree that it is quit a dilema. Everything that I read goes both ways. It just seems that the best advice is to buy what you need when you are ready. If you keep waiting for a decrease price or upgrades you would end up never buying. I know from experience that uncertainity can be uncomfortable.
  3. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

    Dec 10, 2002
    I think the 1.6 would be my perfect choice. I really want one, but I have to pay off my credit card before my wife will allow it. Darn. I haven't seen one in person yet, my wife's school has them along side eMacs in the graphics lab. Cool. I need to get up there and get a photo.
  4. nospleen macrumors 68020


    Dec 8, 2002
    I just recently switched from a dual 1.25 to a single 1.6 G5. I am glad I did it. It is plenty fast and very, very quiet. I switch alot so the better resale value is a must. I hope you enjoy it! Get some ram though, the extra 1 gb I have really speeds things up.
  5. Flynnstone macrumors 65816


    Feb 25, 2003
    Cold beer land
    I too am a switcher.
    Just ordered a 1.8 G5 & 20" display.
    One thing I just noticed and am trying to get my head around is :
    resale value.
    In the PC world, once you drive it off the lot, there's not a lot of value (resale) left. (Assume there is value in buying a PC in the first place ):D
  6. Lain.v2 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 6, 2003
    I think we should start a thread, who owes the most on their credit cards... I'll start, excluding my new putchase = AU$8000 which is US $5600... oh whatever :eek:

    Luckily my wife is pretty easy on me :) her major gripe with this purchase was that its not pretty like a G4 :D

Share This Page