Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I know it's probably been said before in a million threads, but consider that in the past couple of weeks I've already taken the iPhone with me on a road trip spanning 6 different states: New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts (specifically Boston), New Hampshire and Maine.

I also took it snowmobiling too (in New Hampshire). :D I used an app called EveryTrail and it accurately tracked my location from beginning to start without a hitch. I was amazed. Even if there's no data service the GPS still tracks and saves your location locally until you have service again and can upload the results.

Occasionally I would lose a signal while snowmobiling (I was in the mountains after all) but those were the only times I lost a signal. For the rest of the trip I was pretty much always connected. There were times when the "3G" signal would change to an "o" which I guess indicated service but not 3G, and a rare moment when it connected to a third party tower. I can't remember what it said specifically, only that it replaced "Verizon" with the name of the network for a few minutes, before connecting back to Verizon again. This occurred in Maine.

Wireless tethering worked flawlessly. Occasionally if I'm at a restaurant or a bar and wanted to use my MacBook (but there was no wifi) I just turn on the tethering and it instantly connects. I mean INSTANTLY. On my old Samsung Saga wifi tethering used to take almost 2 minutes just to fricking connect. Good Lord.

I use it sparingly though and save the major workload (like if I'm uploading large videos to Youtube) for when I'm on free wifi.

Finally, I also use my iPhone for road navigation via Navigon. I use a bluetooth transmitter for handsfree talking while driving, and it all works near flawlessly. I just hold the home button so I can use voice control and I'm good to go. Not a single dropped call either.

Honestly, the productivity since dumping my piece of utter fecal crap Samsung phone has increased a hundredfold. I swear I could not have made a better purchase in my life.

In 2 weeks I'll be taking it with me to Texas to SXSW, giving me a chance to see how it fares at a major convention. This is going to be interesting because it's precisely the kind of scenario where AT&T falters badly because of all the overload. It'll be an interesting experience for sure.

One last note, although I can't do voice/data simultaneously, I did note that it reconnects to data instantly after a call. I assumed there would be a pause before I could connect via data again but that hasn't been my experience so far.

Can't wait to see what happens at Austin! :cool:

Last edited:

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
I am also a new iPhone owner and could not be happier. I've had so many phones in the past several years, none of them smart phones, but cannot believe how different my work day is with the iPhone. For a short weekend, I had the BlackBerry Torch but hated everything about it so switched it out for the iPhone. I haven't tried tethering yet, but just about everything else you mentioned and am very impressed. I know this is old news to those who have had the iPhone 4 since launch, but for me it is really amazing.

I'll be doing a bit of traveling in March and cannot wait to see how it performs on the road!

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I agree Verizon in NE is very nice. AT&T fails badly the more north you go, almost always defaults to EDGE and sometimes calls are impossible to make.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
In 2 weeks I'll be taking it with me to Texas to SXSW, giving me a chance to see how it fares at a major convention. This is going to be interesting because it's precisely the kind of scenario where AT&T falters badly because of all the overload. It'll be an interesting experience for sure.

This will be a great test for sure - please be sure to post an update when you get back from SXSW. I know that I had major problems with AT&T when I went to Pittsburgh for the two Steelers playoffs games in January - I was basically unable to do anything network-related (Twitter, sms, etc.) the entire time I was at the stadium. That was extremely annoying but I do have to admit that my brother was having the same problem and he's with Verizon. Seems like the towers just can't handle the load when so many people are in the same general area. I guess that's why NYC seems to be such a problem area for AT&T. I haven't really heard of Verizon having the same problems there though - weird.

Rodvette

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
I know it's probably been said before in a million threads, but consider that in the past couple of weeks I've already taken the iPhone with me on a road trip spanning 6 different states: New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts (specifically Boston), New Hampshire and Maine.

I also took it snowmobiling too (in New Hampshire). :D I used an app called EveryTrail and it accurately tracked my location from beginning to start without a hitch. I was amazed. Even if there's no data service the GPS still tracks and saves your location locally until you have service again and can upload the results.

Occasionally I would lose a signal while snowmobiling (I was in the mountains after all) but those were the only times I lost a signal. For the rest of the trip I was also always connected. There were times when the "3G" signal would change to an "o" which I guess indicated service but not 3G, and a rare moment when it connected to a third party tower. I can't remember what it said specifically, only that it replaced "Verizon" with the name of the network for a few minutes, before connecting back to Verizon again. This occurred in Maine.

Wireless tethering worked flawlessly. Occasionally if I'm at a restaurant or a bar and wanted to use my MacBook (but there was no wifi) I just turn on the tethering and it instantly connects. I mean INSTANTLY. On my old Samsung Saga wifi tethering used to take almost 2 minutes just to fricking connect. Good Lord.

I use it sparingly though and save the major workload (like if I'm uploading large videos to Youtube) for when I'm on free wifi.

Finally, I also use my iPhone for road navigation via Navigon. I use a bluetooth transmitter for handsfree talking while driving, and it all works near flawlessly. I just hold the home button so I can use voice control and I'm good to go. Not a single dropped call either.

Honestly, the productivity since dumping my piece of utter fecal crap Samsung phone has increased a hundredfold. I swear I could not have made a better purchase in my life.

One last note, although I can't do voice/data simultaneously, I did note that it reconnects to data instantly after a call. I assumed there would be a pause before I could connect via data again but that hasn't been my experience so far.

Glad you are happy with your purchase :)

Recently my girlfriend moved a couple of hours away from me for her internship and I have been having to make long commutes to see her. I take the BART (train) to go see her and I found myself with a lot of free time to kill on the train. I tried playing games/watching videos on my droid phone but the experience was lacking as the phone would lag or the games would not work well, and the battery would simply be murdered by the time I got off the train.

After buying my V iphone I was able stream netflix movies that worked flawless. The games run very smooth and with great precisions, without killing the battery!!

I am glad I finally made the jump from Android to IOS :)

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
Hello,

I'd be interested in knowing how any of you are finding handling Call forwarding and Call waiting AND especially CALLER ID on the VZW phone, especially in comparision to the ATT phone. The

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4515 has a chart which makes it look like it's less straightfoward to maintain theses features on the VZW phone.

Just curious, as I'm on the fence still between the two carrier, with VZW winning out on coverage in my local area.

Last edited:

patp

Apr 10, 2008
OP great post! Thank you for detailing your experience in real life applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
One thing I forgot the mention was elevator use. In both Boston and Portland in Maine the 3G signal was still strong even inside the elevators. :eek:

I attended BlogWorld in Las Vegas last October and one thing I remember from that trip is how all the iPhone users were tearing their hairs out trying to get a signal from AT&T. It was driving everyone half mad.

Since SXSW is probably 10 times the size of BlogWorld, it's going to be VERY interesting to see how Verizon fares in comparison. I'm meeting up with a friend of mine there and he's still on AT&T with his company iPhone, and while we're together we're both going to perform a few tests to compare the difference. :D

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I guess that's why NYC seems to be such a problem area for AT&T. I haven't really heard of Verizon having the same problems there though - weird.

If I remember right I think it's because they built more towers here in the past year as part of the anticipation of the load from incoming iPhone users. I haven't played with my iPhone in Manhattan yet, but did do so in Boston for 5 days. Only downside was the GPS kept jumping around then. I don't think the GPS antenna is as sensitive as I would have liked unfortunately, but as long as it's accurate enough for road navigation and pedestrian use I won't complain.

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
I've had mine since only last Thursday but I love mine as well. Its like night and day coming from a dumb phone. The battery life is amazing and the 3G coverage is great in my area.

DoctorK4

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
Hello,

I'd be interested in knowing how any of you are finding handling Call forwarding and Call waiting AND especially CALLER ID on the VZW phone, especially in comparision to the ATT phone. The

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4515 has a chart which makes it look like it's less straightfoward to maintain theses features on the VZW phone.

Just curious, as I'm on the fence still between the two carrier, with VZW winning out on coverage in my local area.

Caller ID works perfectly. Call waiting works exactly the same way it always has with my previous Verizon phones, and my home phone. I have never done call forwarding or conference calling from my cell so I can't comment on that.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Caller ID works perfectly. Call waiting works exactly the same way it always has with my previous Verizon phones, and my home phone. I have never done call forwarding or conference calling from my cell so I can't comment on that.

+1 for caller ID, it either gives the name if it's one of my contacts or the number itself.

BTW, voicemail is a dream now. I'm so used to always calling in that I was amazed that on the iPhone you can actually SEE your voicemail instead and play it back with a tap, then swipe to delete.

Old news to AT&T users of course, but this is like revolutionary to me. :D

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise

Thanks, kind DcotorK4.

I'm pretty much decided on going to a Verizon iPhone. I think I'd rather have the higher likelihood of connecting on a call when I'm out away from the city than the probable higher speed and simultaneous connectivity that AT*T offer regarding Voice and Data.

cprevost

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
My only complaint is that I get WAY more dropped calls with my iphone on Verizon than I did with my old Motorola Razr. Probably had 3 or 4 dropped calls with my Razr in 4 years. Maybe 7 or 8 with the iphone in the last few weeks. That's with a bumper installed. Having said that I love love the iphone anyway. The added functionality makes the weak antenna worth it for me.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
My only complaint is that I get WAY more dropped calls with my iphone on Verizon than I did with my old Motorola Razr. Probably had 3 or 4 dropped calls with my Razr in 4 years. Maybe 7 or 8 with the iphone in the last few weeks. That's with a bumper installed. Having said that I love love the iphone anyway. The added functionality makes the weak antenna worth it for me.

The razr was and still is one of the best reception phones ever made, there is no comparison, the razr will be better on any network than an iphone. It is a dedicated calling device.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
One thing i have noticed with people who have verizon is that whenever they recieve a picture message or any type of media message they always have to download it first. One AT&T it shows up right away, How does the verizon iphone handle this?

lanthom

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was carrying a blackberry storm 2 and the difference between them is night and day. On average I used about 100 mb on my blackberry. I've already used nearly 600 mb in 2 weeks. The phone just works and works well. Things move smoothly and that is what makes the difference between the phones.

My old storm would freeze when a call came in and I would miss the call trying to answer it and I could forget doing anything else on the phone at the same time. It looks like I'm joining the dark side. :)

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I've had my ViP since launch day and it's been rock solid. I haven't taken it around the country or anything, but I use it a lot throughout the day on WIFI and 3G. It's an iPhone 4 with great cell coverage...

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
It's such a solid phone overall. Sure it has some shortcomings, but which phone doesn't? There's no other phone out there with such a high level of polish.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Its really nice to see a post about something good amongst all of the recent complaints and demanding posts.

I do believe there are many more people with good things to say than those with bad things.

Good to hear the OP has a positive view point and shared it. :)

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009

If that's the case I would suggest swapping the iPhone at the Apple Store if you can, that way you at least rule out the possibility that the dropped calls may be due to a defect rather than an inherently weak antenna. Considering I've practically covered the entire Northeast with my own iPhone without a dropped call yet, I suspect a defective phone could be the culprit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.