After One Day the iPhone 4 Demo Models Are More Scratched Up Than the iPhone 3GS Demo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jun 30, 2010.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I went to an AT&T store to finally check out the iPhone 4 while I wait impatiently for an Apple Store or Best Buy to get a new shipment. Everything was how I expected except the glass. It was badly scratched. Both the screen and the back had numerous deep scratches and a lot of hairline scratches. The hairline scratches were usually grouped together. It was just awfully damaged after 30 hours. The iPhone 3GS demo models never got this scratched up after a year, the screen nor the back.

On top of that, I was able to get the signal down to one bar on purpose. Then I was holding the iPhone how I normally would without paying attention to how many bars I had and I noticed the reception went down to two bars. What happened to extensive testing of products? I wouldn't expect Apple to release a product that gets scratched up so terribly (it was really bad how scratched up it was) and that loses a few bars of coverage when you use it. Nonetheless, I'm still anxiously waiting to own an iPhone 4 and a few good cases.

It's even worse when you realize the glass on the original iPhone never got noticeably scratched on any demo models I've seen after a year (or the one I owned). Apple used such scratch-resistant glass in the past, so I was happy when we found out the front and back of the iPhone 4 were glass.

2. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The iPhone 4 demo models looked really bad, and after only 24 hours. It makes the iPhone 4 look like touching it will scratch it; the iPhone 4 doesn't have the same durable characteristic that I thought it would, and that Apple has achieved with glass in the past. Has anybody else noticed this on demo models, or were the demo models at this AT&T store ran threw a paper shredder (or something :rolleyes:)?

3. chris.robison macrumors regular

Interesting. The ones I saw at the Apple store in Salt Lake City seemed fine.

4. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

it was probably the oleophobic coating thats getting scratched, at least I hope it is....

I have a few hairline scratches on my front too, only visible in certain light though.

I am sure it went something like this:

worker: Mr. Ive, I have overlooked the production of a new glass I think you should use on the new iPhone
    Ive: well lets see, is this highly scratch resistant?
    worker: from our tests, no....
    Ive: is it shatter proof?
    worker: based on our tests, no....
    Ive: well then tell me, what does this glass have over the one we use right now?
    worker: IT'S HIGHLY BENDABLE!!
    Ive: F**K YES! Let's put it on both the front and back, this will be huge.....

gahhhhhhhhhhhh

5. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Many were too deep to be hairline scratches. Seriously, under light the bottom right corner looked like plastic that was scratched to hell with many fine scratches, though those may have been scratches on the coating. There were more than a few deep scratches, too, though. I wonder what these demo models will look like after a year. At the rate it's going now, the demo models will be falling apart a while before the new iPhone comes out.

6. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

7. Steve Ballmer macrumors 6502

Steve Ballmer

You do realize a demo model is going to be touched, held and used by likely thousands of people on a near 24-hour basis, right? Not to mention, like kids, are going to be excited to see the device. Of course they're going to be rough with it, much rougher than an individual would be with their own device (that they paid good money for.)

8. Steve Ballmer macrumors 6502

Steve Ballmer

Also, you're confusing cosmetic damage for actual hardware durability. Glass and stainless steel may scratch, but they're very durable and should be able to last for years of usage.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 No offense OP but seriously? Judging based on demo models?

I used to work at a Circuit City and a Best Buy years ago and I can easily tell you most demo models get abused the first day. EVERYONE wants to touch and play and break. We were constantly replacing them.

10. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

If what you report is accurate (I'm inclined to believe you but there is always the possibility of a troll attack...) then the only explanation is sabotage. People here have used their iPhones in the field for many more than 30 hours without a scratch. The only way an iPhone 4 can get deep scratches like that is if you drop it OR if you intentionally scratch it with something very hard such as a diamond.

Imagine putting one of the Android fanbots in front of an iPhone for a few minutes... yeah, I don't think it's unreasonable to see them doing something dumb to it.

11. Steve Ballmer macrumors 6502

Steve Ballmer

And people still forget that yes, dropping the iPhone 4 from a height or intentionally running over it with a car will, in fact, probably cause some damage.

12. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Did you ever think that maybe they have replacements for demo models? (which is why the 3GS probably looked so good "after a year"):rolleyes:

13. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It is accurate. I wouldn't troll here (or anywhere for that matter). It's just really disappointing after watching previous iPhones get aggressively keyed for minutes on video without a scratch.

I'm waiting on PC World's scratch, liquid, and drop "torture" tests for the final verdict. It should be up soon, though this is the longest it has taken. They had a "torture tests" video for every iPhone released so far and for the iPad.

14. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

This. They replace demo models. And since they last replaced the 3GS, I doubt anyone has touched it.

I mean who would mess with the 3GS, when there's a iPhone 4 to play with instead?

15. dojoman macrumors 65816

Apple stores ones have ZERO scratches. It's either they constantly replaced them, which seem unlikely, stores are always packed.

16. ultravioletfly macrumors regular

It can take a pounding, sure, but like any glass, when dropped from the right angle, it will still shatter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuuWRB43HCE

17. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

All the demos in my local store are pretty much mint. The 3GS scratched by breathing on it, the 4 is far more durable in terms of scratching.

Plastic back/cheap chrome material < Glass/Stainless Steel

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, it's not a key, but close:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlq-jGxAric