After owning an SS, I don't think I could ever go back to the sports

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by honglong1976, Feb 2, 2017.

1. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

What do you guys think? Have you had an SS and gone back to a sports? why?

or do you like the SS and there is no going back?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

To me if you have the extra money the SS makes good sense for durability.

It does weigh more but that is not an issue for most.

I have never owned a Sports AW.

3. honglong1976 thread starter macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

I got an S0 sports from CEX for £230, I traded last month and got an SS for £180 (so it actually cost less to buy than the sports for me). I can't see any going back. Unless they bring out a sports with sapphire crystal. That would rock!

4. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

After owning the ceramic, my SS sits in a box.

5. honglong1976 thread starter macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

how does the ceramic compare? weight and scratch resistant wise to an SS?

I might pick one from CEX in a year when they are £300 :)

6. the future macrumors 65816

The edition watches are much, much rarer than the SS ones. You certainly won't get one for £300 in a year.

7. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Super Sport.

Attached Files:

8. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

they weigh a little less than SS but more than aluminum. they're effectively "scratch-proof" - more likely to shatter or crack than scratch. i'd say they're even more scratch-proof than the space black, and of course the ceramic isn't a coating but makes up the entirety of the case.

9. honglong1976 thread starter macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

excellent! sounds good! ss does scratch quite easily.

Wonder what material apple will use next?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 2, 2017 ---
    I never thought I would pick up a SS for £180.

You'd be surprised what CEX sell things for. Once a new model comes out, no one cares about the old model and the price drops like crazy! I hope the Edition one doesn't though (for those who have one).

10. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Once I purchased a Stainless Steel after returning the Aluminum, I said the Aluminum shouldn't be called the Apple Watch. Between the ridiculous long box (no reason for that at all) and it's light weight was a turn off to me.

Now, I still hate the box, but the haptic feedback is much more pronounced on the Aluminum as opposed to the Stainless Steel. Obviously, the thickness of the SS makes it harder to notice alerts (and I've tried several, no difference, all weak haptic).

11. Kyle76 macrumors regular

Kyle76

Seriously? Because I can't tell a difference. I thought the rear component with the sensors and feedback was the same for aluminum or SS models.

12. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I thought it was me then my co-worker switched with me his Aluminum for my SS. He said the difference was like night and day. The components are the same, but SS is thicker and that dulls the vibration.

13. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

The SS is no thicker, but it's more dense -- so maybe the extra momentum of the heavier SS body absorbs some of the force created by the taptic engine. You know, "An object at rest tends to stay at rest unless acted upon by a force," and all that.

I think you're right about the taptic motor having less of an effect on the SS model, though.

14. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Now this I find very interesting. I have an S1 aluminum watch, and I love this watch far more than I thought I would, so I've been contemplating getting the SS. I probably still will get one later this year, but now I know that this is something to expect instead of thinking that my watch is defective :)

15. Cnasty macrumors 68030

Cnasty

Started with the sport a while back and sold it.

When I got back into the AW realm I got a Sport as the price was too good to be true and currently wear it now. The weight difference is fantastic and I dont feel I am losing anything at all over my previous SS as I am not rough with my watches and durability isn't a factor in either edition.

I enjoyed both for very different reasons but love my sport and see no reason to upgrade in the future.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I never noticed the haptic differences when I did own the Sport model. Since my upgrade to the stainless model, I still think the haptic feedback is relatively strong. But perhaps I adjusted over time and couldn't tell the difference anymore.

17. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

had a sport last year and sold it when I picked up a Note 7..... in November for black friday I saw some great deals for the SS series 0 and grabbed one for $269... I will never go back to a sports version and I am not even talking about quality or longevity, I am basing this just on looks alone. the SS looks amazing compared to the sport and the metal and leather bands which I prefer look so much better.

I have not experienced any difference in haptic feedback strength, it feels just as strong to me in the SS... Is this an issue with the series 2 perhaps?

18. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

I haven't had a Sport and wouldn't want to. You have more options with watch bands on the stainless steel. The silver version, not the Space Black version. The aluminum version is too light for me. I like some weight to remind me something is there. Plus, I want a watch that looks nice and the aluminum version colors don't appeal to me.

19. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Came here off the forum sidebar expecting to find other SS owners, but I realize my mistake now.

[​IMG]

Really though, I'd love a Stainless Steel AW, but I preordered my SG Sport and I still love it. I'd feel bad if I did have the stainless though after what all mine has gone though after wearing it on a daily basis since April '15 and coming up on two years of use. I'm sure the stainless would have held up better in the glass department as mine is quite scratched and even has a nick out of the glass but I plan on keeping it till it dies. Then I'll look for a used stainless model, series whatever is out then.

[​IMG]

20. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I have 2 Aluminum Sport watches. SB from the initial release and a Gold sport once they came out.

Recently I added an S2 SS. They are all fine really and other than appearance I don't notice much which one I have on versus the other. But the S2 has much, much better battery life.

I don't think I'd go back for another Aluminum but they are still more than adequate.

21. honglong1976 thread starter macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

I noticed the vibration difference. It is more pronounced on the sports. I think the main reason is due to the weight. It weighs less than the SS.

Don't know if anyone used a Pebble (original). That was light and made from plastic, when the vibration went off, it felt like uncontrolled, crazy vibration shaking everything.

In that respect the Apple SS vibration seems more controlled and the case is vibrating less than with the sports one.

22. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I had the S0 sport but swapped it for a SS after about a month. I now has a S1 sport as the price difference to get SS is not worth it (£300) when it does the same thing, I did like the SS when I had it to be fair.

23. honglong1976 thread starter macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

I don't think you'd have those scratches with sapphire. Shame they don't make a sports one with sapphire.

24. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I was extremely skeptical when the watch was first announced. I was in an apple store and I took a look at it and tried a few bands and ordered it immediately.

I work in a mixed environment, office and industrial, the screen still looks like new. the ceramic and SS have been bumped. those two have held up much better than my Nike watch.

Weight wise you're talking grams. If my memory serves me correctly the SS series 0 was a tad heavier but nothing that would cause any excess fatigue or make your arm longer.

The stainless is still a nice watch but I prefer the ceramic.