After receiving new iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MRxRoman, Sep 16, 2012.

1. MRxRoman macrumors newbie

Hey all, I preordered my iP5 and it should be coming on Friday the 21st but I have a couple of questions on how this all works. This is my first preorder so bare with me. Once receiving the phone in the mail , what are the next steps to have the new iPhone synced with my number and account? I recently have an iP4 and realize that the iP4 has a micro sim compared to a nano sim for the 5. Do I need to take it to an AT&T store to have this done or what? Im not confused on how to get apps, songs, and other stuff because that can be done with a restore. I'm just confused on how my new phone will hold my account and then I want my iP4 to be completely wiped out so I can sell it. Any help will be appreciated.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Anyone know the answer to this?

I would assume Apple sends the iPhone with the nano SIM and you have to call to deactivate the old one SIM right?

3. JRIMBRI macrumors member

Well yes the nanosim it comes with will come with all your stuff on it (number) once you turn it on it should activate your data plan and your number. (if your upgrade swapping dont turn it on!, bring it to att or your store)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

All you do is plug it to itunes and activate it.
    Then your number will work with the new i5 and your old iphones sim will deactivate.
    Then restore the old iphone and setup as new to have all your stuff removed.
    Plug in your i5 and restore from backup to copy over all your stuff to the new iphone.

5. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

If you're upgrade swapping, go to the ATT store. If not, all you have to do is turn it on and register with iTunes.

Back up your i4 first so your contacts sync with the new phone.

Then you can restore the i4 as a brand new phone through iTunes so you can sell it. Make sure you unlock it through ATT first here.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I don't think you even need iTunes anymore. It should be ready to go,out of the box. This was the case with my 4s and I was surprised I didn't have to plug into my Mac. I didn't even open the phone in the apple store. Opened it at a mall vendor who put on screen protectors.

7. itsthetouch macrumors member

What do you guys mean by upgrade swapping??

8. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

When you have an additional line on your account that is available to upgrade and the line you use doesn't. So when you order the iPhone 5, you upgrade the additional line then when the phone comes in, you call AT&T or go to the store and have them activate it on your line that you use. Many people do this so you can get a subsidized priced phone every year instead of every 2.

9. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

He needs his music, contacts, etc.

10. itsthetouch macrumors member

I had upgraded with my dads line that was due for upgrade, got the iphone5 on his. And was hoping to go to the store and just ask to switch sim cards so that i can take the iphone 5 and he takes my old phone. They would have no problem doing that?

11. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

iCloud and iTunes match is what I use now.

12. takasugi macrumors regular

No because the new iPhone 5 uses a different sim card.

13. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

The SIM cards are different so you can't just swap them out. Normally that would work though. With the iPhone 5 using the smaller nano sim card, they'll have to swap the SIM card numbers in the system manually.

14. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Use the upgrade on a secondary line but want to use the phone on the main line. So you don't want to activate it on the line that your not going to use it on anyways.

15. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Have you heard of iCloud and iTunes wireless sync?

----------

All you do is turn on the phone and activate. Then you restore from iCloud. There will probably be instructions in the box as well.

16. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

I've been considering booting up my iP5 as a "new" phone instead of backing up my iP4 from iCloud. I know that I'd have to manually re-download my apps from the App Store and my media from iTunes Match, but I'm in the mood to "start fresh" with this new phone.

With every new iPhone I've purchased, I've restored from a previous phone. Might change it up this time.

17. cotrain12 macrumors newbie

Swapping - Data Plan

I plan to swap, but how does it work with the need to have a different data plan for iP5?

18. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Whats the actually percentage of people that actually uses that iCloud? You're telling me everybody uses iCould? :rolleyes: Its a smoother process to just plug a cord into the computer than waiting for wireless sync. Come on be realistic.

19. dagored macrumors 65816

I plan on doing the same. Clean, fresh start. I have already deleted apps I no long use.

20. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

UltimateFacepalm.jpg

No tell me....what are the statistics behind the use of iCloud? I bet you have one of these too right?

Screen Shot 2012-09-16 at 11.21.55 AM.png

Because who would use a touch screen keyboard :confused:

21. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

If you do a backup of old phone and restore onto new phone will it transfer old text messages?

22. ctc799 macrumors member

On the topic of upgrade-swapping, does anyone know if I just call AT&T's 611 number?

23. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

No, you'll need to call AT&T from a phone that's not involved in the swap.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.

25. MRxRoman thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help guys i now have a full understanding of what i should do. Just wanted to know before hand so im not running around town for no apparent reason to AT&T if it can be done at home.