After repair strange rubber tab coming out of air vent.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chadua, Feb 10, 2012.

1. chadua macrumors member

I recently went to the genius bar with a keyboard issue. They replaced the topcase on my macbook air. It was working fine, but I noticed something black in the hinge area after I got it home. At first I just thought it was something that had fallen down into the space there, but upon trying to remove it realized that it is some kind of rubber tab emerging from the fifth from the left vent hole. Anybody have an idea what it might be?

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Its to create a seal so the fan only draws air from a specific location

3. minnus macrumors 6502

Unfortunately...it seems that I deleted the picture after the problem was fixed... but...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1299177

I believe I know exactly what you're talking about. Do you notice any bumps or dents at the hinge area right above the function keys?

For me, when they replaced they lid/screen - they used a screen that had too short of a wire (how the hell does that happen, I do not know). What you are likely seeing is that wire. It normally runs inside, right beneath the area between the hinge and the function keys. Because the wire was too short, they 'improvised' by shortening the distance the wire had to travel. This will cause a dent in bump in your case, since the case is not designed to accommodate the wire in that fashion.

That it back to the Apple Store. It sucks, i know - but this short wire issue is unacceptable. I COULD NOT believe they tried to pawn it off on me in hopes that I never notice. This can't really be an oversight, but blatant negligence / disregard by the people installing the screen (when installing anything into a computer, you KNOW when it does not fit right).

Edit --

Oh, if they try to 'fix it' without replacing the screen...you would likely get more issues (refer to the last picture in the thread I posted). The person who tried to repair it did their best - the wire became less noticeable...but the bottom casing bulged like no other. After a screen replacement, it was bad to normal.

Good luck.

4. philxor macrumors regular

There is a rubber gasket which goes around the fan and heatsink so that's probably what is sticking out and they probably just didn't put things back correctly when they replaced the case.

As for a wire and the screen, the cable you are talking about is the wifi/bluetooth antenna cable which runs to the logic board across the laptop. It is supposed to wind through the channel which has a couple bends in it so if the cable was too short it wouldn't reach where it needs to connect to on the other side.

5. chadua thread starter macrumors member

Thanks; It doesn't seem like it is worth taking back to the apple store. Is there any reason not to take a box cutter and trim it off, or should I just leave it there?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd just leave it.