after SnowL install, no folders or drives on desktop but available in finder.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bbshrmn, Sep 20, 2009.

1. bbshrmn macrumors newbie

hi, please excuse the long post. problem is my desktop is gone. i dont see my computer icon or any of the folders, etc that used to be there. if i open finder i see my desktop icon in the sidebar and i can see all the contents and access them. they just are not visible. furthermore, if i try to right-click the desktop i get no response or contextual menu (as in the one that adds new folders) im stumped.

im running a macbook pro laptop and installed snow leopard a few days ago. everything went fine and after shedding a few tears of lost hacks i then set out on the 'get quicksilver to work perfectly with snow leopard' mission. honestly, i barely tinkered with anything that i think could be the cause of the problem, but i mention it because it is the only other major thing ive done since the install.

if i open up pathfinder, and use the pathfinder desktop, i can see all the items right where they ought to be. i have relaunched finder, and rebooted. repaired permissions and verified disk

possibly unrelated, i also had some major keychain problems out of nowhere and my mobile me account cant remember my computer although it syncs (engineers are looking at the case)

thanks for any feedback.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

From the Desktop, go to the Menu Bar, choose Finder-Preferences, General Tab and make sure that the items to show on the desktop are checked.

3. VladM macrumors regular

I think that this may be a bug, as my HD icons disappear, but if I re-launch Finder, they appear again.

4. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

same exact thing for me. i'm sure apple will fix it soon

5. bbshrmn thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks HLdan, but that was the first thing i tried. they are all checked. this is a deeper issue. if im in say safari and i click on the desktop it doesnt even change the menu to say finder. its not physically registering, however it is accessible via finder

i cant right click it, i cant do anything. VladM and footlong when i relaunch, it doesnt resolve the issue. when your icons disappear, can you right click and get a contextual menu or get the finder menu to show up?