After spec bump of 15 rMBP: buy now or wait to Haswell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cntwtfrmynwmbp, Feb 13, 2013.

  1. cntwtfrmynwmbp macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2012
    #1
    So, this will be the first of 756 threads about this topic.

    Should I buy one now or wait to Haswell?

    I don't really need one now but I would really love to have one now :)

    As there is a spec bump update in Februar, does this mean that the Haswell update could wait until really late in 2013 (and not in June/July as was generally expected)? Why would they update now if they plan to update with Haswell in June??

    Argument againt buying: there are many reported problems with the current rMBP. They don't simply go away after this spec bump update, right? Better wait for the "real" 2nd gen rMBP?

    One argument for buying on now is that there is a promotion at our university right now where I can get a somewhat cheaper rMBP and cheaper AppleCare. Next promotion time is in Sept-Oct, I don't know if I can wait so long.

    Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks
     
  2. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #2
    I think I'll wait for Haswell or maybe Broadwell. The 15" rMBP might get cheaper with the next refresh, it's a never ending cycle with tech isn't it? :(
     
  3. jemesouviens macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    #3
    If the 15" retina fits your needs and there's a promo you might as well get it rather than waiting for 7-8 months.

    If you happen to get a screen with image retention you can always return it, so where's the harm?
     
  4. demosthenes80 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2013
    #4
    I wouldn't buy a rMBP until they

    1) kill the classic MBP

    and

    2) Upgrade the GPU in the rMBP to one that can actually drive all those pixels efficiently and effectively.
     
  5. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #5
    Good thinking.

    The OP could buy a 15" rMBP now, and then only essentially pay 200 pounds or so to upgrade to Haswell or something? :D
     
  6. jemesouviens macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    #6
    Is it really a GPU issue with the 15"? I thought the problem was the LG screen and the Sammies were fine?
     
  7. cntwtfrmynwmbp thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2012
    #7
    Thanks.

    Not really any serious harm. I only would regret it if the Haswell base model would come with 500 GB SSD.

    Or if they add an option for anti-glare retina screens. But this seems unlikely.
     
  8. timsaxman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2013
    #8
    It feels weird that they should update to Haswell in about 4 months if they bump it now, although it wasn't such a big bump in hardware, just a decreased price. Maybe they decreased the price now to sell some more before they upgrade it to Haswell and sell even more.

    In the best of worlds they lower the price now, put Haswell in it at WWDC in June and I buy it happily shortly thereafter! But what do you guys think?
     
  9. jemesouviens macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    #9
    No worries!

    Fat chance Apple are far too stingy to hand out 500 GB SSD by default :)

    If you have a yen for it go and get it! On delivery you can assess it and in the unlikely event you're underwhelmed for any reason return it, wait for Haswell or a better configuration.

    The two laptops I absolutely wouldn't buy right now are the retina 13 (silly pricing) and the classics (too dated) but the airs and the retina 15 are awesome machines IMO.
     
  10. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    #10
    I don't think it's a GPU issue. Any modern GPU can run rMBP resolutions for non-gaming applications. The slow uptake has been on the software side. For example Webkit resolves lag issues in web browsing.

    Gaming is more of an issue, you need at least a 680M (i.e. the latest graphics cards) to run anything decent at 2880x1800.
     
  11. jemesouviens macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    #11
    I dunno, Intel are likely to be late to market - aren't they always?

    My gut feeling is that it's more likely to be September than June.
     
  12. Ploki macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #12
    I hate that kind of uninformed crap. The CPU and GPU are more than capable to drive all those pixels
     
  13. timsaxman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2013
    #13
    So it's mostly up to Intel? And Apple will put Haswell in all their laptops as soon as it is released? But Ivy Bridge came in time to WWDC in June, why not Haswell?
     
  14. jemesouviens macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    #14
    Thanks, that ties in with what I understood. Thankfully it's a non issue for rme since I decided to stop trying to buy one machine that does absolutley everything.
     
  15. timsaxman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2013
    #15
    True, it is only a software problem. For those who experienced scroll-lag when browsing for example Facebook they fixed it by updating webkit. And I guess that OS X 10.9 will resolve more of those problems.
     
  16. bill-p macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2011
    #16
    Haswell roadmap looks like they'll roll out mobile chips gradually starting in June. Apple typically takes at least a month to implement them... but then Apple also typically refreshes all of their computers at once, and not just each of them gradually, unless they're announcing a new model (redesigned). So it's looking more like October/November for the next spec-bump/upgrade.

    Furthermore, Haswell would do almost nothing to the performance of the 15" rMBP. It'll only give the 13" rMBP a graphics performance bump. But that's still not enough for the 13" rMBP to comfortably push all of the pixels on its display in 3D applications and games.

    The other problem is... there is no GPU this generation that can be considered a substantial upgrade to whatever that's in the 15" rMBP now. Most of the higher performing parts come with higher thermal profiles, so those can't be fitted into the 15" rMBP anyway. So Apple has nothing to upgrade the GPU with. If they go integrated-only, then... I think it's going to be a tough sale.

    So my advice? Buy the 15" rMBP now if you can afford it. You'll get half a year of use before the next refresh, which isn't guaranteed to do much.
     
  17. jemesouviens macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    #17
    Yeah - Intel are ultimately responsible for rolling out the chip so they are the limiting factor.

    I don't have any inside info or anything and you're right, certainly they intend to make it for Computex, but they've delayed once already, hence my pessimism.
     
  18. msim20 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #18
    I have Amazon delivering a 512GB ssd for my 2009 2.8GHz Core2Duo Macbook Pro. I have been sitting on the sidelines waiting for 16GB RAM and 512GB ssd prices to come down some. The prices have come down now.

    Since The ssd is still to arrive at my door and I have not yet installed it, the decision as to whether to use the ssd for to wait for new MBPro has become urgent.

    If it appears that MB Pro is unlikely to see much of an upgrade in the next year or so, then perhaps I should buy now.
    - As I see it, retina display is already there. I care for the display.
    - Ssd is already there - at best can become 10-20% cheaper.
    - CPU series can be upgraded to Haswell - more battery life but I am not sure how much of a performance bump it will be.
    Agree?

    Also, I hope to buy a 27" retina display monitor when it becomes available. Will the current rMBP drive that?

    All-in-all, it appears that the time to upgrade may be now.

    Oh one more reason to wait - back-to-school sale that apple runs every year.

    Thoughts? Thanks for the discussion on this timely topic!
     
  19. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    #19
    Gaming is also a non-issue really :). I'm not giving the 650M enough credit, as it runs games at 1080p fluently, which makes it better than 85-90% of the mobile video cards out there right now.

    You can also downscale resolutions in which case the 650M is even better. Overall the rMBP is a machine that really does everything, I firmly believe this.
     
  20. demosthenes80 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2013
    #20
    Uninformed crap? I beg to differ.

    I didn't say it was a CPU issue, but it IS a GPU one. When I had an rMBP, there was noticeable lag during OS-level animations and movement. Now, that same GPU on the regular MBP doesn't have that issue, and can actually perform better in games or programs like Motion because it doesn't have to drive 4x the pixels to display the animation.
     
  21. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #21
    Waiting will buy you a better machine that's for sure.

    Looks like my 2012 cMBPs are still the newest version until Apple kill it.
     
  22. robvas macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #22
    Really wasn't much of a bump.
     
  23. msim20 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #23
    Yeah. And since most of my work is looking at a larger monitor driven by my 2009 MBP, the retina display aspect of the rMBP is not as important.

    So, I am inclined to think that waiting to upgrade my MBP until a retina display monitor is available may be a better approach.

    I do not do much video processing. Aperture with a large library is my most intensive process. And Parallels every now and then. I suppose the 512GB ssd should help there.
     
  24. jemesouviens macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    #24
    You know as soon as I posted that I meant to add that if there was one machine that would tempt me into my old ways of looing for a single solution for all my computing needs it would be the retina 15. It is quite an amazing machine, I totally agree.

    As things stand though I am very happy with the 2012 Air; to paraphrase the saying about cameras, I'm finding the best laptop to be the one you have with you!
     
  25. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

    Woodcrest64

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    #25
    I would either get it now or wait for Intel's Skylake.
     

Share This Page