After Tennessee shootings

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 22, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-shootings-armed-citizens-guard-recruiters-055810618.html

wonder if rules will change allowing our military to carry due to the shootings.

2. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Because nothing makes gundamentalists happier than being able to strut around with their guns looking like they are doing something. Meanwhile, the horse has been stolen ....

4. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

This will cause emotional duress for many.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Wait.. wouldn't this be a great opportunity for the state National Guard? after all, they are the local militia for the state, per the 2A.

BL.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Given that the Gov. of Texas was going to have the guard keep a watch on the Army over Jade-Helm, that seems somehow both fitting and kind of messed up.

7. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Nope.

Militia = unorganized forces = armed-to-the-teeth private citizens. :)

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

you'd be a bit incorrect. You should read up on the Dick Act of 1903. A synopsis:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/National+Guard
    http://prospect.org/article/well-regulated-militia
    http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2005/04/is_the_national.php
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_Act_of_1903

BL.

9. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

do liberals NOT care about the deaths of our armed forces in the U.S?

11. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

The 2A predates the Dick Act and the National Guard. :)

The 2A was even acknowledged by the SCOTUS as an individual right. It has absolutely nothing to do with the NG.

"Well-regulated militia" simply means armed/prepared citizens.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The Dick Act of 1903 supercedes the Militia Act of 1792, and defines the militia as the National Guard.

BL.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think people of all political persuasions care about incidents like this, including the rare - but tragic - attacks on US military personnel here at home.

But seeking different solutions to the problem doesn't mean someone "doesn't care." The reality is that US military personnel have been barred from carrying firearms in US non-training situations for many years. It was an order promulgated by professional military officers based on a whole slew of factors; ranging from heightened risks associated with the presence of firearms; additional training requirements, and yes - the Legal and Constitutional restrictions on the use of Federal troops in domestic law enforcement roles.

I think most people are more than willing to accept the wisdom of professional military officers on this topic. They have to contend with the fact that a Recruiting Office , by its very nature, has to be a place accessible to the wider community. And that having heavily armed troops, presumably with body armor, helmets, and automatic weapons, standing outside might act as a deterrent, not just to terrorists - but far more frequently to a nervous high school senior or 18 year-old Wal-Mart checker from going inside for a chat about their career options.

14. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

The Dick Act does not supercede the Second Amendment. The militia in the 2A is different than the militia defined by the Dick Act (NG) since the 2A is an individual right to bear arms.

I have nothing against the NG or our military. I say bring them all home and line our borders with tanks.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do gundamentalists care about any gun deaths except those for police and military?

See, others can play your silly games.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

gundamentalist, that is funny.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Did you even read the 2A?

Again, from it:

That well regulated militia is defined as the National Guard, per the Dick Act of 1903.

But let's even take your stance on things.. from your post:

If private citizens = militia, and the 2A states a well regulated Militia, then you should have no problem with your arms being regulated. True, or False?

BL.

18. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

This is a quote from wikipedia so I am sure you will see it different.

I am an able-bodied man between 17 and 45. So I am part of the Reserve Militia under the Dick act?

LINK

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Note that I did quantify my first post with 'a bit incorrect'. I'll concede that, because that would be the reserve. However, the militia isn't only private citizens, as Praxis asserted it to be. But I'll also ask the same question of you that I did him. True or false: being part of the militia, by nature of being an able bodied man between 17 and 45, you, the militia would be subject to regulation.: from your person down to your arms. Yes, or no? Because if you agree, then none of you should have had any problems with any weapons regulation that was or is in existence. You are militia, and subject to regulation.

BL.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What happens when you turn 46?

21. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Yes I will agree with you that as part of the Dick act that someone tried to define who was part of the militia, but I still believe that the 2nd amendment is clear and they purposely right the right of the People, not the right of the Militia....Shall not be infringed.

I also believe that the term "well-regulated" has changed meaning over time. I believe it meant to be in proper working order, during the time of when the constitution was written.

So back to the Penn and Teller video, the word "PEOPLE" is the key word.....but gun haters have slowly been trying to change it.

22. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

The good thing about 46, is you're will a "person" and the right of the "people" to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    A gold watch, and a fond farewell.

To get on topic for a second, it's now being reported that one of the 5 now dead was armed with a gun he brought from home, and even fired a few shots in response. Unfortunately, it did no one any good.

We had our good guy with a gun. Still ended up with 4 dead marines and a sailor.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

but VR said no one would engage the shooter.

does anyone know WHO killed the shooter yet?

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Well, that brings the entire Constitution under scrutiny again, because now you have to take any amendment made that gives Congress the ability to regulate, and apply your definition from back when the Constitution was written.

Congratulations. That just threw nearly every amendment passed up in arrears.

And I note how you only pick and choose what you want out of the 2A as well, instead of taking the entire statement as a whole.

TL/DR; National guard is militia, per the Dick Act. any able-bodied person is part of the militia per the Dick Act. The militia is to be well regulated under the 2A. SCOTUS ruled that the 2A isn't without limits, and is subject to regulation.

BL.