After upgrading to iOS 5 data usage has become insane

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gus6464, Nov 14, 2011.

1. gus6464 macrumors regular

So my average data usage every month before iOS5 ranged between 500-1000 megs a month. Now with iOS5 my billing cycle does not end until the 19th and so far I have used a whopping 6.5gigs of data this month. At the current rate by the end of my cycle I will reach close to 8gigs. I am not doing anything different than when I was on iOS4 so what the hell is going on.

Anyone else using ridiculous amounts of data after upgrading?

2. zign macrumors 6502

zign

Hmmm, that's interesting. Just logged into my account online and I have used around 600mb this month. I am currently on a 3 month unlimited data test drive (vodafone uk), but once that's finished in 56 days, I am on 750mb a month. What worries me is that I am on wifi 80% of the time and even then, I am not a heavy data user. Looks like there is a leak somewhere.

3. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

do this. I think it is because the iphone disconnects from wifi when it is in standby mode.
    [​IMG]

4. zign macrumors 6502

zign

I already have this off. There is definitely something else going on. I've also been running on all the betas of iOS 5 and didn't notice any excessive usage. That was on iPhone 4 though. I have since upgraded to 4s.

5. zign macrumors 6502

zign

Here is an interesting thing!

I went to my iCloud settings and noticed something interesting. Photo stream is off in the main settings, but when I went to Storage & Backup -> Manage Storage I noticed, that the back image was rather large. When I clicked on the back, I got more settings and the photo stream was still ON in there and an estimated size of my next back up was going to be 1.7GB.

Backups should be wifi only, but this is still weird.