After using my iPhone 4 for about a month, my 3G looks like a fake

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omizzle, Jul 31, 2010.

1. omizzle macrumors regular

Looking at the screen of my 3G iPhone reminds me of some Chinese knockoffs that you might find on ebay..

anyone else feel the same way?

2. Nadazilcha macrumors newbie

I'm on my 3gs right now and have no Chinese feelings what so ever. Feels quite Apple really.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

While the iPhone 4 is very nice, the 3G and 3Gs models are still nice as well.

4. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Hold it next to the iPhone 4 and you will know what he is talking about.

5. Nadazilcha macrumors newbie

I have done so already and have noticed the screen differences but this in no way makes the prior model a knockoff.

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have an iPhone 4 and use two 3GS iPhones everyday. I bought and activated the two 3GS phones AFTER I bought the iPhone 4, one 8GB 3GS and one 32GB 3GS. No, the 3GS phones do not look like cheap chinese fakes.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'm on my Mac Pro and that thing from 1984 looks fake. Appreciate design in the context of its time. Looking at older designs through modern eyes cans result in negative bias.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sorry, but I don't see it.

Both are nice. Different. But nice. Neither look like a fake. Just different.

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am holding both of them. Hmmm.. I don't see signals going down on my 3G. Oh, it is going down on iphone 4.
    This thread is useless and I hope admins shut it down.

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Use the Retina Display for a month, without looking at a 3G or 3GS, then go back and look at the 3G or 3GS.

Honestly, not knocking the older models or going all Apple Fanboi on you, but the screen is really poor when you go back from using a Retina Display.

I had a shot of my Father in Law's 3GS a week or so ago, which was the first time I'd used an older model since I sold my 3G two weeks before the iPhone 4 launched, and it was shocking how low resolution it looked.

If you're used to it, and know nothing else, then you obviously won't see any difference.

11. ajax43 macrumors regular

In a few years everyone will be talking about how their "old" iphone 4 looks like a Chinese knockoff of a Russian fake compared to the new super retinal
    bum fuzzled shwinglamian iphone 5.5.1(s).:D

12. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Looking at older designs through modern eyes can also result in Antiques Roadshow.

13. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

You only say that because you don't have an iPhone 4, which has a vastly superior screen to pretty much anything out there right now, and blows the 3GS out of the water.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes, the iPhone 4 display is awesome. That's a given.

However, just because the display is better, doesn't mean that the iPhone 3Gs is not a good phone. The iPhone 3Gs is still useful -- especially now with iOS4. :)

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The 3GS is a great phone, but once you've had an iPhone 4 long enough to become accustomed to the display, it's absolutely true that going back to a 3GS feels like using a relic. It's not simply a matter of viewing the two side-by-side as an exercise, it's the psychological adjustment that occurs when you really get used to something. If you have a 40" HDTV and you upgrade to a 60", the 60" seems enormous until you've had it for a few months, then the 40" just begins to seem itty-bitty. Perspectives shift.

16. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

17. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

I was specifically referring to the displays. Compared side by side with my 3GS, I use slightly different adjectives.

18. bluer101 macrumors regular

You should try coming from the original iPhone to the iP4. Sometimes I turn on my old phone to see something (set up iP4 as new) and its like I need glasses to view it.:p

19. big samm macrumors 65816

i can say there's a big difference beetween my 3gs and my ip4... 24hrs would be enough to see the difference... dont forget it's twice the resolution now that's a huge bumps trust me... but with all due respect the 3gs is still a super smartphone... with 4.0 its A1 like steve would say....

ps. the ip4 screen looks better than the ipad screen!!

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's actually four times the resolution. :)

21. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Exactly why I'd never be able to go back to my 3GS... No matter how bad the antenna problems are.

22. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

23. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

3G(s) looks like a rough draft of what the iPhone looks like and the iPhone 4 looks like a final product.

24. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

When I use my iPhone 4, I feel kinda bad to the guy I sold my iPhone 3G too. While in perfect condition, going from that to the 4 it's just NO comparison.

I used the 3GS in the Apple store and I can honestly tell why some people aren't as "Wow'd" by the iPhone 4.

25. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

2 x the resolution
    4 x the pixels

It takes 4 x the pixels to double the resolution.