after using the 5, feels like the 4s is the "shorter" one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unlimitedx, Oct 18, 2012.

1. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised how quickly I got used to the larger 4" screen. looking back at my old iphone 4s, now it seems like it is the 4s' screen that is too short (rather than the 5's screen feeling too tall when apple first announcted it).

2. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Yes, the 4S screen is shorter than the 5's

3. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I too was surprised how quickly I adjusted.

I thought the iPhone 5 was ugly as sin before release.

4. michaelmac3 macrumors member

I'm pretty sure he meant that now when he looks at a 4S, it looks ridiculously small like it was too short to begin with, now being used to the 5's screen.

I, too, felt this. Looking at my dad's 4S, the screen looks like a postage stamp now. Crazy.. try going from a Samsung Note to an iPhone 4S :D THAT'S a leap.

5. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I bought the 5 last week. The extra height is not doing anything for me, other than the extra bulk in the pocket. It is neither big enough nor small enough. I think I'll be selling or returning the 5 and sticking with my 4S/S3 combo - too big and too small lol.

6. Ahonen, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

When I look at my 4S, which my wife is using now, it seems ridiculous. It's so short and stubby looking to me. The 5 just seems right, despite my initial reservations about the larger screen.

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I agree, I haven't felt the 5 is too big...but going back to a 4s makes it feel tiny!

8. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

In my experience not only is it the shorter one, but far better than my rather uninteresting iPhone 5.

I find the iPhone 4S, the best of the lot where iPhones are concerned.

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Imagine using a screen between 4.3" to 4.8". I'm sure there would be plenty of "to big" comments but I'm sure if apple introduced it, people would enjoy it and think the 4" screen is to small.

10. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

Agreed. I was taken aback the other day. Answered my wife's 4S after using my 5 since the release day. I think I noticed the large weight difference first. Then I kept looking at it and thinking "Box of Cards".

Had a hard time getting my hand comfortable on it at first. It's amazing how fast your mind assimilates new movements. :apple:

11. AFDoc macrumors 68030

You shouldn't pass judgment on a device before you have it in your hand. Pictures can do a lot to make something look more appealing or even less appealing depending on many factors.

I think i5 is the best looking iPhone yet. Very pleased with mine.

12. stevemiller macrumors 65816

I like the idea of the 4" and it'll be nice to get at some point, but I just have to laugh at the predictable way this all played out.

How when the 4" was first revealed there was endless moaning about how awful it sounded. And if course as soon as people actually started getting them, the tune changes to how much better it is and how inferior the old screen is in comparison.

I'm not saying either any of the opinions are right or wrong, it's just silly how we are so desperate as consumers to justify whatever we currently have, that we need to constantly verbalized our disdain for the alternatives.

Typed from an iPad that will go from being "the perfect size, what was apple thinking making a mini" to "you know, the smaller form factor really makes way more sense than this big cumbersome thing"

:rolleyes:

13. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Glad I'm not the only oddball around here :D

Seriously, that extra icon row's worth of extra space does not justify the extra height added to the photo to me. Look at the picture, the 5 lets me see what 3 extra threads compared to the 4S. If you're going to go big, mean it :D

I like to put my phone in my pocket top-down, but the 4S fits comfortably in my jeans pocket either way as it tends to shift sideways being so slippery. The 5 is not comfortable in my jeans pocket sideways, but keeps shifting sideways while in my pocket. The S3 being as wide as it is doesn't slide sideways and stays top down, so the S3 is actually more comfortable in my pocket.

Attached Files:

14. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

That S3 is an enormous beast. It needs its own zip code. I'm glad the iPhone 5 kept reasonable proportions, because I never intend to lug something around that big. I know a lot of people love those wall mounted phones but for me it's all about having it on me without noticing it.

I was initially concerned that the 5 would be too big, but it's really just fine because it is still the same width.

15. iosuser macrumors 6502a

Yes it is a bit too big, 4.3-4.5" with a 1280x720 would have been perfect. Like I said, the iPhone 5 to me is neither big nor small enough, a bit pointless. If I can only have one phone out of these three, it will be the 4S, but since I'm not restricted I'll keep the 4S and S3 and have the best (or worst to some) of both worlds.

16. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Didn't stop me from buying it lol. I'm a sheep. But it just looked awkward at first glance being tall but still as narrow.

17. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

Both my wife and my son have the 4S and 4 respectively.

I can't even hold their phones without them feeling awkwardly small in my hands...

Got used to the new 4 inch screen instantaneously...

18. slayerz96 macrumors member

At first I thought the iPhone 5 was like SO LONG and I'll never get used to that ruler length screen.

Now, the iPhone 4S just looks like a midget with a lot of extra space. iPhone 5's screen is just gorgeous.

GS3 is too big for me. I had the GS2 and I found that screen to be the perfect size. iPhone 5's screen is slightly smaller but it is still ok.

19. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

After using the 5, the 4S feels like the shorter one...?

That's like saying... "After cutting my hair, it feels shorter than before."

I mean seriously. Duh, the 4S will feel small now, you GOT USED to the 5. My 4S feels absolutely normal.

No need for stupid topics like this, I'm sorry.

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My experience exactly. The S3 has me spoiled. I do a lot of email text and IM. The narrow display of the iPhone simply doesn't cut it. It's like half of a feature. Not a whole feature. Boasting about a larger display for iPhone 5 is very misleading to the person who is not an enthusiast.

Without an increase in the vertical space when held horizontally, there is absolutely no benefit to the iP5 for me.

Google maps being removed is also a huge drawback. It's a deal breaker. Oh well, perhaps by next year Apple will have something new and exciting in the iPhone line... or not. Who knows...

21. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

It is hilarious, the numerous people saying how dumb it'd be to have a larger screen, and if Apple makes it bigger, I'll just keep what I got. Now that they have them, it's like when McDonald's invented the Super Size meal.

I got a GS2, because the i4s wasn't the i5, and I wanted a larger screen. Wife has an i4 and when i grab it, it feels rinky dink. Display and quality of the phone is better and appearance as well, just to small. I did go play with the i5 the other day, and the only reason I'm considering it, is because I don't like Android, and since the ICS update, it has been a POS.

22. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

This is exactly why I cannot go from my 4.65" Nexus to the iPhone 5. Now you understand why the majority of Android users will stay with Android.

23. raf66 macrumors regular

Not me. Left my Droid X (4.3" screen) for the iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier. It was down to two smart phones for me (the S3 and iPhone 5) and there was simply no comparison. Left Droid and not at all teary-eyed about it. I'm not the only "former" Droid owner "recent" iPhone convert, either. To each his own, I guess, but your blanket, overgeneralized statement is opinion rather than fact.

24. Gnarl macrumors newbie

No sh(i)t Sherlock?

25. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

This was my thoughts exactly. I held an iPhone 4 and I was so suprised by the weight and short stubby look of the phone after having the iPhone 5 since launch.