After what felt like years, I have discovered the easy way to "maximize" something.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceboots06, Jun 14, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Right click on the slider for the dock and select Turn Hiding On

Using the gestures on your trackpad pinch inwards to zoom in

After zooming in a lot press the green + button on the top left of the window

Move your cursor back down to the slider for the dock, right click, and click Turn Hiding Off

You're done!

---

Yes, this seems like a really dumb thread but I know there are some newly switched Windows-to-Mac people that would probably like this for Safari. I personally can't stand it but use it on occasion.

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Christ man! I got carpel tunnel just reading that thing.

3. Dan in PA macrumors regular

Either that or:

-Turn dock hiding on
    -Stretch window using tab in bottom right corner (firefox)
    -Turn hiding off.

4. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

still its beyond me why someone would want to maximize a webpage which does not have content to stretch the expanse of the screen....

To each his own. Good trick.

edit* oh see you mean any window not just browser. I see.

5. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

I have always wondered why the little green button doesn't work as advertised sometimes.

6. Ploki macrumors 68020

its not advertised as "maximise to the whole screen" its advertised as " maximize as much to fit in content".

i know always when i press it in logic in whatever window it goes over the full screen

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Except in some apps it does not even do that..
    Like firefox, the green button in firefox behaves likes no other OSX app... Same with mac Mail.. Both of these bug me like crazy. I like the way the green button works in safari and finder, I just wished it did the same thing in ALL apps.:confused:

8. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

I do it for forums, since you can read more text per line, and scroll less.

OSX Is driving me nuts, because with umm spaces, If I acidentally click and drag a window and let go, it won't 'drop' in the correct maxamised spot.

This is even more annoying since I run XP in Parallels, maxamised, and accidentally pick up and drop the window, which means it if then thrown out of sync with the window and I have to exit full screen then reenter it..

If the window is already maxamised, and I hit it again, it should re-adjust it self to fill the window. Right now if I hit Max, it shifts the window to the left 100 pixels, and that's just stupid.

9. Ploki macrumors 68020

LOL, i have safari 4.
    right now its maximized by hand.
    if i click the green plus, it s shrinks it to 800*200 pixels in the lef tcorner.

10. kolax macrumors G3

I just have all my applications and windows set up how I like them, and they stay that way (apart from MS Office).

I never maximise, I prefer being able to see some of my desktop when doing Word processing, browsing the web etc as it gives more colour to the experience. Obviously, if it was Photoshop or Final Cut then it'd fill the screen with no Dock.

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

An easier way is to place the window top left then stretch it all the way across the screen to the right. Then alt + click the green maximise button. ;)

Why you want to maximise a window is beyond me. It really is less productive. :rolleyes:

12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

In my experience, Windows was designed to be run on computers with small screens (800*600) running one app at a time, so maximising is a good way of making effective use of your display.

OS X, on the other hand, has been designed to be run on computers with relatively larger displays, where maximising is an utter waste of screen estate. OS X also makes it easy to switch between windows by using :apple:+tab or :apple:+` or by using Exposé or Spaces.

Try maximising a web page in Windows on a 24" panel and tell me it's a good idea.