After you get your iPad will you want to protect it going back to your car?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rubey81, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Rubey81 macrumors member

Just have that feeling there will be some news reports of people getting their iPad stolen the first few days it's out.

When getting my past two generations of iPhones I noticed after done buying them people tuck the bags under their arms and go as fast as they can away from the line to get in their car and head off.

Makes you kind of afraid to be one of the first to whip it out in public. lol

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have no intention of waiting in stupid lines. I'm going to jack the first person I see buy two.

3. RebelRed macrumors member

1. CCW
    2. Glock 21
    3. Experience

I'm not worried about it. If someone wants to steal something there's two paths

4. nopassn macrumors regular

I hear you... Conceal and carry combined with a Glock should eliminate any squabbles over your gear ;)

5. Jelite macrumors 6502a

Big thug with weapon "Give me the ipad"
    You "Unlucky thief! the ipad is tucked under my arm, HA!!"
    Big thug with weapon walks away with head lowered and sad face.

6. Rubey81 thread starter macrumors member

I would love to see the first news story headline "Unlucky Thief gets the s#@$ kicked out of him with an iPad." :D

7. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I remember lugging my iMac out of the Apple store around Christmas time. I definitely got a lot of stares and I felt pretty nervous. Thankfully the mall was kinda upscale in a pretty good area. At least with an iPad you'll be able to throw it into a backpack or at least have a sack!

But if all else fails...iRun!

8. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

You can install iGun and GTA Chinatown Wars in the store. So you haven't just got a gun, but you also have a map. First, use the iGun. Find the home and apply LOADOB. That will give you the flame thrower. Then just grill the man/woman attacker.

Simples!

9. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Just make sure to unbox your iPad and download the "Kick Mugger A**" app before leaving the mall.

You'll be fine.

10. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I meant to say 'GOURANGA!' (I don't think it says anything to the current young generation.

11. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I'm beginning to lean towards feeling that supply will be fine and there actually won't be much chaos. No need to take any more precautions than you normally would, based on your local crime levels.

12. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

And the fact that you will have a highly desirable tech product that is easy to sell in the US and overseas... and that you will have a distinctive white plastic bag with a large Apple logo on it, including a fairly large cardboard box.

I would suggest taking a backpack. You don't want to show off with that thing, trust me. It's so simple to grab it and run. I haven't tried it but reading a few threads I can tell you that there are some guys here who would. :eek:

13. RMXO macrumors 6502a

I plan to put mine in my backpack

14. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Should be a mandatory law.

15. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

I'm gonna stick my iPad in place no person in their right mind will want to reach into.

You complete the story. :cool:

16. ks-man macrumors 6502a

Seems like there could be a lawsuit against Apple.

"If there was a front facing camera I could have been on iChat with the local police department, but b/c you left it out, I had my iPad stolen."

Customer wins $100MM settlement b/c Steve Jobs left out simple technology in revolutionary device.

17. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

18. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

I have hired a personal protection service...

Not really...

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im fairly sure someone robbing you is not grounds to shoot someone as it probably wouldnt be life threatening.......

20. shujin macrumors member

The only time I have ever felt threatened was when I got my xbox 360 back in 2005 when very few people had them. I got it two weeks after launch (2nd shipment). The guy at the store doubled bagged it for me but people get asking the eb workers why I was getting a 360. They told them that I reserved it, luckily I ran out of the mall. But my iPad is coming to my front door. Why go some where when a person can deliver it to you.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Well if you want to ensure you'll be left alone just put your iPad in one of these before you leave the store:

[​IMG]

22. Spudracer macrumors 6502

Strap 2 lbs of Semtex to the iPad box wired to a dead man switch. Place a sign on your chest and back telling people to maintain a 10 meter perimeter (blast radius) and walk with the switch held above your head. Any attempt to dislodge the iPad for a grab-n-run will result in iPieces instead. Don't forget to keep your thumb on the dead man switch at all times.

What :confused: Too extreme? How much do you love your iPad?

23. Spudracer macrumors 6502

Oh that's just cruel. True! But cruel. :D

24. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

25. Phisherman81 macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

I will not bring it on my commuter train until I start seeing other people bring their's. A little paranoid I know, but it's so easy to get it swiped in those environments with no chance of getting it back.