AG Barr is wrong

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by theapplehead, Jul 25, 2019.

1. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

Typically I side with the conservatives/republicans on many issues; however, on a recent event that has surfaced I have found myself siding with the Democrats.

At a cyber security conference, AG Barr recently re-stated that he believes consumer privacy should be sacrificed for the government to have a back door into any technology (primarily messaging services) to be able to view and search for potential threats. I don’t understand how anyone in their right mind could consent to such a sacrifice of privacy. AG Barr would be setting a very dangerous precedent by coercing corporations such as Facebook and Apple to provide unrestricted access of user’s messages to the government. And don’t even get me started on how hackers could exploit this.

I genuinely pray that Barr remains unsuccessful in attempting to force this bill through. It would be detrimental to the very people he says he’s trying to protect.

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcr...-barr-consumers-security-risks-backdoors/amp/

2. LordVic macrumors 603

AG Barr... And any nation who believes that government should be allowed to have eyes automatically into everyones private communications, without proper due process and warrant, is nothing but a would be facist dictator attempting to impose big brother-eques spying and authoritarian ideals on a populace

EVERY ONE WHO BELIEVES IN FREEDOM SHOULD BE APPOSED TO THIS.

Regardless if you are a Dem, Republican, Independant, Conservative, etc. Giving police unfettered, back door access to all communication should rile you up as a blatant over-reach

3. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Ahhh, spoken like a true libertarian!

4. LordVic macrumors 603

I tend to fall in the "social libertarian" quadrant of the political spectrum.

the state/country has a duty to ensure that every citizen has equal access to infrastructure, education, healthcare and a social safety net. In addition to regulatory principles of economy in order to spur economic growht and development, and ensuring public safety.

beyond that. Government should be neither seen, nor heard.

if a government must violate our rights in order to preserve public safety, than that excessive reach must be measured, justified, accountable, and with oversight to limit abuse. It must also have time limits to the extent of that violation of rights

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

If they were not able to notice what the San Bernardino terrorists were posting on the Internet... we are years away from them actually making good use of back doors. They can't even see what's going on with the front door wide open.

Strange how so many terror attacks had FBI red flags and they were still unable to stop them.

6. appleisking macrumors 6502a

This is someone educated in law who clearly never read the 4th amendment or thinks it's optional.

7. theapplehead thread starter macrumors 6502

theapplehead

Almost as if they already knew.....so they could have an excuse to force companies to create backdoors into their services. Just a thought.....

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Unless it’s someone he likes... then he has to lie and coverup whatever is found.

Can’t wait until this tub of dishonest lard disappears into retirement obscurity and the history books get to work on how horrible he’s been in his few months as AG. His first hearing before congress makes him look almost as bad as Trump.

I’d trust him with privacy laws as far as I could throw him, which is not any distance at all, as it wouldn’t be worth a strained back and several hernias.

9. Zenithal macrumors G3

It's fair game on anyone who has their privacy violated then.