Age limit for religion?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Anitramane, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Anitramane macrumors 6502

I think freedom of religion is good. Above all, the freedom not to be religious, that has not always been possible for people.

I think it is wrong that children will be forced religious belief from the adult world. Everyone should have the opportunity to freely choose between all religious or to choose not to believe.

When you are a child you usually believe everything that adults tell you. It's easy to trick into someone with a little knowledge that Santa on Christmas Eve is for real, that it was tooth fairy that left a gold coin under your pillow or that Mom and Dad's religious beliefs are correct.

Ultimately, I think all that believe in different things, like ghosts and other invisible creatures, realize that it is just a belief and not scientifically proven, maybe you do not become fanatical.

And then maybe the way to kill another human being for his faith becomes longer. If you are forced to wait until you become 18 years old before anyone starts to brainwash and indoctrinate you you will have time to hopefully get some more resistance to religion and emotional arguments.

Please continue believing, but do not force your belief on other people.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

4. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Wouldn't taking children off their parents until they are 18 be the only way to do that?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is a parent's right to preach the principals of their religion but a child is not liable to follow it. I was born to a Catholic household but am a non-denominational Christian. I have accepted Christ and preach His word to those who have not. I am 16 and make my own decisions based upon the truth and not what I am told. The Bible is the tried and tested rock in my life, not what anyone else has to say.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Let's give it a wirl.

7. kds1 Suspended

kds1

I knew religion was a scam at 12, thanks to the fact that I went to a progressive school that made us take comparative religions in the seventh grade.

8. NightGeometry macrumors regular

I went to a rural Catholic school as a kid. I was shocked when I realised people (even adults) actually believed the rubbish we were told about imaginary gods. I had always put that stuff in the same category as fairy tales and other fictions we were told, I think I was about 10 at the time.

As far as religion in general is concerned, I would ban public displays of religion. Freedom of religion in private. Have churches, mosques, temples all the rest of it, but don't allow it is schools, government, on the street, on TV etc...

My one exception would be law. If someone wants to declare themselves religious then they should be able to opt in to be covered by the laws of that religion in cases where punishments are more severe than societies laws. I.e. declare yourself christian and commit adultery - death by stoning. I'd put safeguards in place - all parties to the religious trial have to willingly submit to it, if any coercion at all is found then all parties (judge, jurors, witnesses, accused, defendant and/or equivalents etc), would be found guilty of contempt of civil court immediately, and suffer the maximum punishment allowed.

I think the worse aspects of religion would probably die off pretty soon, and we'd be left with the positive aspects. This is not hugely different to how the Mennonites and Amish live in the US, as far as I'm aware, and they seem okay with it. (At least from a tax perspective, do they have their own courts too?)

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

Hmmm...this is an interesting thought.

I do always marvel at how some can see two gays together and scream about how it's an abomination and they should go to hell, but if another Christian breaks a rule in the Bible which has severe consequences in the Bible, then he just needs to find his way or something.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't think thats going to fly.

It wouldn't go over in the United States. It wouldn't go over in highly-liberal Sweden. And it certainly wouldn't tho over in places where fundamentalist Muslim rule holds sway.

The fundamental right it violates is that of parents to raise their children as they see fit. And unless the State has an extremely compelling reason to do so (ie. the parents are torturing or starving their kids) - the State ought to stay out.

For many children religion, organized or ad hoc, provides structure in a way that supplants that of their schools and playgrounds. Whether it is participating a Church choir; going through religious rites such as Communion or Bar Mitzvah with other kids the same age; or going away to summer camp - religion provides many kids with important socialization experiences.

By the time most kids reach the age of 16 or 18 they can decide for themselves whether or not they want to continue to keep religion part of their lives. Here in the US or Western Europe, most kids are exposed to enough culture of the outside world (through tv, videos, etc.) to understand there are alternatives.

I see endless opposition, considerable downsides, and advantages that are theoretical, at best, to any attempt to artificially impose any sort of age limits on the exercise of religion.

11. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yes. 21 and up. It impairs you much worse than alcohol. :p:D

12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The forefront of the anti-gay hatred mentality that people see in Christians is actually the Catholic Church. The Bible tells us that any sin can be forgiven by God and that homosexuality is indeed a sin. The Catholic Church has twisted it into an image that Christians get that they hate gay people. People like to make it look like Christians are hateful people to excuse themselves. As mere humans, we are not to judge as only God himself can judge but we do not need to support another's sinful nature.

13. Huntn, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As far as kids and religion, most parents and I would agree, feel that it is their right to guide their kids down the best path possible... as they see it. I'd classify it as "indoc". ;) Although I'm Agnostic and my wife is a disgruntled Catholic (she admits she has no idea of what truth is when it comes to religion), we sent our kid to Catholic school for about 4 years to expose him, but have never shoved religion down his throat. We don't go to church. He is attending church with his family, but honestly I don't know if that is for his salvation or just a good social community connection. I've never pressed him on it. :)

A huge problem with language is when people misuse terms. Better said it's your personal truth, an important qualifier, or better yet your opinion or best guess. It's got nothing to do with an overall immutable or scientific truth.

What goes on with the Bible and Christians (as with most humans and their religions, you know those feelings that can't be proven) is a lot of picking, choosing, and personal interpretation of what they want to follow and what to ignore. The failure of logic and those who wrote the Bible is thinking that homosexuality is a choice against God's rules and is therefore a sin. When you come to understand and maybe someday you will, that God created all of us, some with heterosexual and some with homosexual genes, we're are all God's creations. How can it possible be a sin to act upon the nature God gave us? PS, I don't think it's a test. The number one problem is when Christians look at a musty old book written by 2000 year old superstitious sexist human beings and try to imbibe it with truth. It's really kind of laughable and sad at the same time. Most likely God considers it an insult to his omnipotence and all-knowingness. ;)

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I did not misuse any term in that statement.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Then we have a cordial difference of opinion. I explained clearly why your statement has nothing to do using the blanket term "truth" and it does not stand up logically either. You read it in a book, that's all it takes? Or is it a lifetime of experience has proven to you that gays are thumbing their noses at God's rules? :)

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Bible is the ultimate authority for Christians.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I know and qualifies as truth. I was just trying to help you out, but I'm happy you have it all figured out.

18. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

I love your idea, but I don't think you go nearly far enough. Really, as autonomous sentient beings, children should not be indoctrinated with any beliefs—religious, political, cultural or otherwise. As you say, they should have the opportunity to freely choose what to believe once they reach adulthood.

Thus, for example, liberal or progressive parents should be prohibited from forcing their political beliefs on their children. For all we know, the child might well choose to be a conservative when he or she grows up. Same thing would go for conservative parents, naturally. Parents should refrain from forcing any cultural preferences on their children as well; for example, French parents would do well to avoid passing on a preference for French food, for on his own the child might well choose to like other cuisines.

Pulling this off will not be easy, of course, since children have the annoying tendency to intensely study and emulate the adults around them in thought and action. I’d propose therefore that we set up community “hatcheries” where children could be isolated from the adult population, in order to ensure that no beliefs are deliberately or even inadvertently forced upon them.

Ooh, I’m going to love this brave new world. When can we get started?

19. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

no man is and his interpretations of it the religious leaders that control their followers. no one really follows the bible everyone picks and chooses and does whether want using the bible to justify it.
    no one nows the truth anyone when you know the truth is when you have fully fooled yourself.

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is a completely asinine idea.

You cannot pick and choose. You can listen to what others say but ultimately it is what the Word says which is the truth.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Why, if we want to shield children from having their parent's or anyone else's beliefs forced on them we must make sure that they are completely isolated from society until they are 18. Perhaps we can keep them in bubbles and feed them through IVs so they don't develop preferences for certain culture's foods until they turn 18 at which point we can turn them loose as fully functioning unbiased members of society.

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

what the word says is different for everyone. no one gets the same out of the bible no one can agree on the meaning of the bibles passages or the version that s the most accurate.
    when you read something you interpret it that changes the meaning. no one has the same faith no one agrees on what is the true word of god. People have been trying to know the true meaning of the bible since it was written and one one can agree on it.

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I sincerely hope you are joking with that idea.

The Bible is cut and dry clear but I agree that people twist the interpretations.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Of course it is sarcasm as I would hope the OPs original idea is as well since both suggestions are about equally good...

25. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Right sure it is. everyone twists the passages. the translators twisted them first. why don't all the translations say the exact same thing? all it takes is one word changed to changed the meaning.
    when you read your experience and education and culture and everything else works to make the meaning of something to read to make sense. the bible was written 2 to 3 thousand years ago. the meaning things have changed dramatically since then or have been totally lost. word meanings change. all that makes the bible as accurate as a blind sniper.
    I always here that the bible is easy to understand it is straight forward. but I can find 100 christians that get 100 different meanings out of it. who is right?