Age of 64-bit has arrived, Age of 32-bit is vanishing!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rasmasyean, Nov 1, 2008.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Soon, no more 32-bit computers will ship... :(

Out of the 11 HP laptops listed as "new arrivals" at Best Buy, 9 come with 4GB of memory and 64-bit Vista. Ironically, the other two new-arrival HP systems come with "Windows Vista Business downgraded to XP Pro."

In other words, you get either XP or 64-bit Vista: 32-bit Vista is not offered standard at all in this list of new arrivals.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10076795-64.html?tag=mncol

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

On the other hand, the rapid growth of Atom based computers suggests that 32 bit hardware might not be dead yet. ;)

What exactly does Windows Vista Business downgraded to XP Pro mean... does it mean that the computer comes with Vista and you can click a button or use an included install disc to downgrade, that it comes with XP installed but also includes a Vista license, or that it only comes with XP?

As for it being good or bad, I think the major problem is that MS was already beaten up for poor driver availability when Vista launched, and very few consumers really understand the difference between 32/64 bit Vista builds. I think this strategy of having two versions of the hardware that require different drivers (because your printer really needs to address six gigs of memory :rolleyes: ) may backfire on MS.

But otherwise, it is sort of a gimme, that when the base memory platform gets to 4GB, you're going to see the 64-bit version pre-installed.....

4. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

No more usage of your favorite 5 year old printer? :p

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Nah dude, didn't you know? Earth stopped spinning when we went from 16-bit to 32-bit. :rolleyes:

Afraid of progress much?

6. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I could probably buy Windows 98 if I really wanted to too. That doesn't make it a good idea. But whatever, keep fearing progression.